Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Joel Hughes <jo...@redknee.com> on 2000/02/18 13:07:40 UTC

Cocoon, Xerces, XSP, and Java HotSpot

I've just discovered an issue with Cocoon, Xerces, and Java HotSpot 1.0.1.
It would appear they don't work very well together.
With HotSpot installed, Xerces exceptions (exception appended below) when
HotSpot is an enhanced JVM which JIT-compiles and attempts to optimise
oft-repeated code.  Obviously it's compilation is interfering with the
XSP/Xerces processing.  As for "why", we'll leave for another day.

The problem is easily reproducible. Hotspot can be installed and removed
without a reboot, just stop and start Apache.  I've tested this scenario on
three machines, all with same results.

Config:

NT 4 SP6
Apache 1.3.11
Jserv 1.1
JDK 1.2.2
JSDK 2.1
HotSpot 1.0.1
Cocoon 1.6.1
Xerces 1.0.1
Xalan 0.19.2
FOP 0.12.0

Exception:
java.lang.NullPointerException

	at
org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredDocumentImpl.synchronizeChildren(DeferredDocum
entImpl.java:1218)

	at org.apache.xerces.dom.NodeImpl.getChildNodes(NodeImpl.java:520)

	at org.apache.cocoon.Utils.getFirstPI(Utils.java:116)

	at
org.apache.cocoon.processor.ProcessorFactory.getType(ProcessorFactory.java:7
9)

	at
org.apache.cocoon.processor.ProcessorFactory.getProcessor(ProcessorFactory.j
ava:70)

	at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Engine.java:282)

	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:840)

	at
org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.processRequest(JServConnection.java:314)

	at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.run(JServConnection.java:188)

	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

Joel Hughes
joel@redknee.com <ma...@redknee.com>