Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Tony Baker <to...@onestep.co.uk> on 2007/11/09 12:00:49 UTC

Mail marked as spam on outgoing mail

Hi !

I have recently updated Spamassassin (3.2.3), amavis-new and clamav.

Everything seems fine,
then yesterday I replied to an external piece of mail and CC'd a
couple of colleagues on the reply.

The mail was marked as SPAM

Part of the headers as follows:
> tests=[ALL_TRUSTED=-1.8, AWL=9.772, BAYES_00=-2.599]

The body of my reply had a lot of pricing included in it   eg $30

Can someone tell me why has a mail generated internally been marked
as SPAM?

If I can supply more info that would assist in getting an answer
please let me know

Tony

Re: Mail marked as spam on outgoing mail

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
Tony Baker wrote:

> The mail was marked as SPAM
>
> Part of the headers as follows:
>> tests=[ALL_TRUSTED=-1.8, AWL=9.772, BAYES_00=-2.599]
>
> The body of my reply had a lot of pricing included in it   eg $30
>
> Can someone tell me why has a mail generated internally been marked
> as SPAM?

Seems to me your spam-status line above says it all:

AWL=9.772

Check the archives, the subject of autowhitelisting was brought up
recently.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Re: Mail marked as spam on outgoing mail

Posted by Tony Baker <to...@onestep.co.uk>.
On 9 Nov 2007, at 12:39, wolfgang wrote:

> In an older episode (Friday, 9. November 2007), Tony Baker wrote:

>>> tests=[ALL_TRUSTED=-1.8, AWL=9.772, BAYES_00=-2.599]
>>

> AWL=9.772: This seems to indicate that a recent mail with your address
> in the From: header was tagged as spam with a rather high score. Could
> it be you sent test mails that got scored very high?
>
> For more info see:
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AutoWhitelist
>
> Regards,
>
> wolfgang

Thanks to those that replied

I dont know of what, if anything that went out with a high score,
certainly not any test mails.

I will start looking through the paths as suggested

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Tony Baker wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I have recently updated Spamassassin (3.2.3), amavis-new and clamav.
>

> Everything seems fine,
> then yesterday I replied to an external piece of mail and CC'd a
> couple of colleagues on the reply.
>
> The mail was marked as SPAM
>
> Part of the headers as follows:
>> tests=[ALL_TRUSTED=-1.8, AWL=9.772, BAYES_00=-2.599]
>
> The body of my reply had a lot of pricing included in it   eg $30
>
> Can someone tell me why has a mail generated internally been marked as
> SPAM?

Looks like at some point, your sender address sent something very spammy
and drove their average score up to +15 or so... The high postive score
of the AWL rule shows that..

This message itself matched no spam rules. It's strictly based on the
score-averaging behavior of the AWL..

You might want to try using the check_whitelist script to dump the
contents of your AWL, see if your own average is high for some reason.

Beyond that, you can use spamassassin --remove-addr-from-whitelist
myaddress@example.com to delete your own record..

You also should look into why your average was high.. Do you ever get
any spam that matches ALL_TRUSTED? This should never happen, but it's
possible the trust-path guesser is confused by your mail setup. This
could lead to the AWL confusing outside spammers forging your email
address with the real you.

See http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustPath

RE: Mail marked as spam on outgoing mail

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
> Tony Baker schrieb:
>
>> Everything seems fine,
>> then yesterday I replied to an external piece of mail and CC'd a couple
>> of colleagues on the reply.
>>
>> The mail was marked as SPAM
>
> Which copy of mail was marked as SPAM - the one that went to the
> outside, or the one that went to the inside?
>
> It seems to me that you most likely should not do spamfiltering on
> internal mails, and probably also not for outgoing (although there are a
> few legitimate cases for that).
>
> - -- Matthias

Right, with amavisd-new you should consider using a policy bank for outgoing mail. With a policy bank you can be more forgiving to your internal clients.

http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/amavisd-new-docs.html#pbanks
http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/bypassing.html

Gary V

Re: Mail marked as spam on outgoing mail

Posted by Matthias Leisi <ma...@leisi.net>.