Posted to watchdog-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Ryan Lubke <Ry...@Sun.COM> on 2002/09/25 16:52:18 UTC

[Fwd: Re: Testing SRV 4.7 (SSL Attributes)]

> Comments inline ...
> On Tuesday 24 September 2002 11:21 pm, Ryan Lubke wrote:
> > Hi Jason,
> >
> > Comments inline....
> >
> > Jason Hunter wrote:
> > >Thanks for the fast response, Ryan.
> > >
> > >Here's how I read the spec.  Simple servlet containers (outside J2EE)
> > >aren't required to support SSL/HTTPS.  However *if a container does
> > >choose to support SSL/HTTPS* then they're required to expose those
> > >attributes.
> > >
> > >Per SRV.4.7: "If a request has been transmitted over a secure protocol,
> > >such as HTTPS, this information must be exposed via the isSecure method
> > >of the ServletRequest interface. The web container must expose the
> > >following attributes to the servlet programmer: ..."
> > >
> > >So the rule for implementors is either (a) don't do SSL or (b) do it
> > >correctly.  I don't think it's appropriate to assume that since
> > >something is optional then we shouldn't test that when present the item
> > >behaves as it should
> >
> > I don't disagree that when using SSL, there are strict requirements that
> > must be followed, but as far as the TCK goes the functionality is
> > optional per the spec and won't be tested (unless there is a shift in
> > testing philosophy).
> >

> It sounds like there is a desparate need to change the testing philosophy. As
> it stands a container that provides a non-conforming implementation of an
> optional feature is incorrectly labled as conforming. That's bad.
>
> If a container does not support an optional section of a test, it's a PASS for
> the section, but optional does not equal do not test.

I'm going to setup a feedback alias as this input is valuable.  I'll be
sure to post it once it's all set.  Please *do* send the above to this
alias once it's ready.

> > >.
> > >
> > >In fact, I think it's entirely within Watchdog's (and the TCK's) current
> > >goals to ensure that the spec is followed.  Otherwise anything optional
> > >in a JSR is unlikely to work when present.
> >
> > I think it would be easier for Watchdog at this point in time as it's
> > not restricted by
> > being an official TCK.
> >

> So it can be worked on, and the point of including it in the TCK can be argued
> later.
>
> > >Here's pseudocode:
> > >
> > >1) Try to connect using HTTPS
> > >2) If fails, return OK
> > >3) If succeeds, check attributes
> > >4) If attributes correct, return OK
> > >5) If attributes incorrect, return FAIL
> > >
> > >In reality the it may need to be the docs that say, "If you support
> > >HTTPS then run this test to make sure you support it fully" in order to
> > >satisfy lines 1 and 2.
> >
> > I agree that it should be documented.  I think if the user is making a
> > conscience
> > decision to test SSL, then step 2 should probably be "If fails, return
> > FAIL".
> >

> I think Jason has the right approach. Check if SSL is present. If it's not,
> the section PASSes. Actually, it should be UNSUPPORTED, which is a pass for
> an optional feature.

My point was not about detection of SSL.  If SSL is being tested, and
the test cannot connect to the container via SSL, then it should not
be considered PASS.  That would be a false positive.