Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by JustySmile <Ju...@web.de> on 2005/03/01 20:58:47 UTC

Transforming of XML files to LaTeX

Hello,

I am a student from Germany and I search for a nice way to transform XML
files to PDF. I have heard of your Documentation Project as I use the
Apache HTTP Server and I was wondering how you do it. I have checked
your "Documentation Format and Transformation" page and it says "The PDF
version of the docs is generated by transforming the xml files to LaTeX
using the "latex-en" Ant target". Can you tell me what the "latex-en"
Ant target is and where I can find more information about it?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Chris

Re: Transforming of XML files to LaTeX

Posted by Jesus Blanco <je...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Maybe this can help you: http://www.yeslogic.com/prince/

Best Regards,

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, JustySmile wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a student from Germany and I search for a nice way to transform XML
> files to PDF. I have heard of your Documentation Project as I use the Apache
> HTTP Server and I was wondering how you do it. I have checked your
> "Documentation Format and Transformation" page and it says "The PDF version
> of the docs is generated by transforming the xml files to LaTeX using the
> "latex-en" Ant target". Can you tell me what the "latex-en" Ant target is and
> where I can find more information about it?

Read the part of that page about checking out the docs-build svn
repository.  Then also take a look at the docs/manual/style/latex/
directory under the httpd distribution.

You'll find that we are using an xsl transformation to get from xml to
latex.  It is not possible to transform arbitrary html to latex using xsl
because of some differences in the semantics (mostly around tables and
<pre> sections).  (And it certainly isn't possible to transform arbitrary
xml.)  But it is possible to do a half-decent job with our particular
subset of html.

Joshua.