Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Sherman Uri <Ur...@comverse.com> on 2007/01/22 16:12:23 UTC

Attachments in SOAP

Hello,
I am looking into using attachments in some of my web services, for the
trnsfer of pictures, videos, etc.
I googled arround for a bit, and couldn't really find a clear tutorial
in axis site on the subject, but rather got confused from all the
different choices (MIME/DIME/MTOM, using SAAJ and javax.activation in
contrust to using axis proprietary libraries, and so forth).
So, I'm currently using axis 1.4, but might decide to switch to axis2 if
the subject calls for it.
I even got a working example using the javax.activation.DataHandler as a
parameter to my service method to pass the attachment. The thing is the
wsdl generated by axis is clearly not generic (it marks the parameter of
type "apachesoap:DataHandler").
Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Pros and Cons for the
different options and some reading resources, I found lots of bits of
knoledge but nothing giving a bigger picture....
Thanks,
Uri.

RE: Attachments in SOAP

Posted by Sherman Uri <Ur...@comverse.com>.
Thanks Thilina,
But I didn't get that link u posted (or didn't :-)

Moreover, besides the different technologies, are there any resources on
how attachments should be used with axis in particular?
That is, how should I get the attachments on the server side (through
the MessageContext, by passing a DataHandler as a parameter, etc.), how
should I send them,
are they supposed to be declared in the wsdl file, and so forth.....

I found a couple of articles and examples on the net, each one using a
slightly different approach, but they were all more about "How to get it
to work" kind
of thing rather than about comparing the different approaches and
explaining what's interoperable and what's not, pros and cons, etc.

I also hoped to find some kind of tutorial on the axis site but it seems
there isn't any.....

Thanks for your help,
Uri.

Posted by John Eapen <j1...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thilina

I had some issues getting soap with attachments to work using axis 1.3.

Does axis 1.3 ( or 1.4) support  Web Service Interoperability (WS-I)
organization's SOAP with Attachments reference type: wsi:swaRef .  My
assumption is that Axis 2.0 will support this .

Thanks
   John

Re: Attachments in SOAP

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.