Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jesse Schaaf <JR...@primetherapeutics.com> on 2012/04/30 23:31:38 UTC

"Read Out Loud" in Adobe

I am testing a PDF that is a two column page like this:

<xsl:param name="column-count">2</xsl:param>
        <xsl:param name="column-gap">18pt</xsl:param>

Works great, the table runs down the left side of the page and then again
on the right side of the page. Of course, I have column headings when I
start the table.

Heading1, Heading 2 and Heading 3     |   Heading1, Heading 2 and Heading
3

The problem comes in when I turn on the "Read Out Loud" function in adobe.
Because it is a two column page the headings read twice like this:
"Heading 1", "Heading 1", "Heading 2", "Heading 2", "Heading 3" , "Heading
3"

The everything else reads properly.

Not sure if there is any way around this (to only read it once) but
thought I would ask. I thought about rendering these as images and using
"Alt Text" but would likely have the same problem.

Thanks!

Jesse
Prime Therapeutics made the following annotations
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this communication may be confidential, and is intended only for the use of the recipients named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the sender immediately and delete the original message and any copy of it from your computer system. If you have any questions concerning this message, please contact the sender.

Re: "Read Out Loud" in Adobe

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jesse,

There seems to be a limitation in the way FOP tags the PDF. The text in
repeated headers will belong to the same structure element instead of
a different one for each repeated header. This is not a problem when
a table is broken over two different pages, as there is a way to
indicate to which page a piece of text belongs, and this mechanism is
used by the read out loud feature. However, it will obviously be
ineffective if the table is broken over 2 columns of the same page.

There is no workaround I’m afraid. We will have to fix that, either by
ignoring the repeated headers and treat them as artefacts, or by
inserting additional header elements in the structure tree.

Feel free to report a bug at
https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fop
It would be good if you could attach a small FO file showing the
problem, along with its PDF output.

Thanks,
Vincent