Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matthias Fuhrmann <Ma...@stud.uni-hannover.de> on 2006/01/24 16:19:18 UTC

whitelist mailman lists

Hello,

we have some lists on a server maintained by mailman. since mails for
moderators contains offten spammy content, those mails are rated as spam
too. i tried whitelisting with for example:

whitelist_from_rcvd mailman@subdomain domain
whitelist_from_rcvd *owner@subdomain domain
whitelist_from_rcvd *bounces@subdomain domain
whitelist_from_rcvd mailman@localhost 127.0.0.1

and some more, but all failed.
what went wrong, or does anyone know the correct pattern for
whitelist_from_rcvd and mailman?

thnx in advance,

regards,
Matthias

Re: whitelist mailman lists

Posted by Matthias Fuhrmann <Ma...@stud.uni-hannover.de>.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Daniel J. Cody wrote:

> Matthias Fuhrmann wrote:
> > whitelist_from_rcvd mailman@subdomain domain
> > whitelist_from_rcvd *owner@subdomain domain
> > whitelist_from_rcvd *bounces@subdomain domain
> > whitelist_from_rcvd mailman@localhost 127.0.0.1
> >
> > and some more, but all failed.
> > what went wrong, or does anyone know the correct pattern for
> > whitelist_from_rcvd and mailman?
>
> One trick I used is to have a URI rule that searches for the address of
> the mailman server and path to the admindb (usually /mailman/admindb/)
> and give it a negative score. Also, if you use bayes, have it ignore to
> and from *-owner@yourdomain.com to avoid any problems with autolearn.

didnt knew about bayes_ignore_to/from yet. thanks for the hint. i'll try
the uri rule later too. need a new fresh sample first :)

thanks &

best regards,
Matthias

Re: whitelist mailman lists

Posted by "Daniel J. Cody" <dc...@uwm.edu>.
Matthias Fuhrmann wrote:
> whitelist_from_rcvd mailman@subdomain domain
> whitelist_from_rcvd *owner@subdomain domain
> whitelist_from_rcvd *bounces@subdomain domain
> whitelist_from_rcvd mailman@localhost 127.0.0.1
>
> and some more, but all failed.
> what went wrong, or does anyone know the correct pattern for
> whitelist_from_rcvd and mailman?

One trick I used is to have a URI rule that searches for the address of
the mailman server and path to the admindb (usually /mailman/admindb/)
and give it a negative score. Also, if you use bayes, have it ignore to
and from *-owner@yourdomain.com to avoid any problems with autolearn.

HTH

Dan

Re: whitelist mailman lists

Posted by Matthias Fuhrmann <Ma...@stud.uni-hannover.de>.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Mike Jackson wrote:

> > we have some lists on a server maintained by mailman. since mails for
> > moderators contains offten spammy content, those mails are rated as spam
> > too. i tried whitelisting with for example:
> >
> > whitelist_from_rcvd mailman@subdomain domain
> > whitelist_from_rcvd *owner@subdomain domain
> > whitelist_from_rcvd *bounces@subdomain domain
> > whitelist_from_rcvd mailman@localhost 127.0.0.1
> >
> > and some more, but all failed.
> > what went wrong, or does anyone know the correct pattern for
> > whitelist_from_rcvd and mailman?
>
> You might try a different approach - create a header rule that would match
> on one of the common Mailman headers, like
>
> header MAILMAN_HEADER exists:List-Id
>
> or
>
> header MAILMAN_HEADER exists:X-Mailman-Version

i'll try this too, thnx for the idea :)

regards,
Matthias

Re: whitelist mailman lists

Posted by Mike Jackson <mj...@barking-dog.net>.

Re: whitelist mailman lists

Posted by Matthias Fuhrmann <Ma...@stud.uni-hannover.de>.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, mouss wrote:

> Matthias Fuhrmann a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > we have some lists on a server maintained by mailman. since mails for
> > moderators contains offten spammy content, those mails are rated as spam
> > too. i tried whitelisting with for example:
> >
> > whitelist_from_rcvd mailman@subdomain domain
> > whitelist_from_rcvd *owner@subdomain domain
> > whitelist_from_rcvd *bounces@subdomain domain
> > whitelist_from_rcvd mailman@localhost 127.0.0.1
> >
> > and some more, but all failed.
> > what went wrong, or does anyone know the correct pattern for
> > whitelist_from_rcvd and mailman?

thanks for your reply too.

Subject: =?iso-8859-1?q?4_LIST_Moderatoranforderung=28en=29_warten?=
From: list-bounces@dummy.uni-hannover.de
To: list-owner@dummy.uni-hannover.de
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:00:03 +0100
Sender: mailman-bounces@dummy.uni-hannover.de

here is a fresh sample, header only, and my machine is replaced by
'dummy', lists name was replaced by 'list'.

regards,
Matthias

Re: whitelist mailman lists

Posted by mouss <us...@free.fr>.

Re: whitelist mailman lists

Posted by Matthias Fuhrmann <Ma...@stud.uni-hannover.de>.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, David B Funk wrote:

Hello,

[..]
> Many mechanisms for calling SA do -not- make the envelope-from address
> available for rule matching (including miltrassassin), thus the failure of
> your whitelist_from_rcvd.

our version currently runnign is: (using Revision: 1.15 Date: 2005/01/14 20:21:10)

> I ran into this problem a couple of years ago, when I first started
> using spamassassin & miltrassassin. The answer was to modify miltrassassin
> to have it add a 'Return-Path:' header to the data that it feeds to SA
> so that SA would have the envelope-from address to work with.
> All of a sudden whitelist_from_rcvd started working as I expected it to ;)

sounds intresting. since i'm not that good in C, and cant verify if all
those funktions work allready in my version. but mlfi_envfrom(ctx, argv)
is used somehow :)

> I've made several mods to miltrassassin, fixing bugs and adding
> features that I felt were worth it. I tried to contact the original
> author of the program to feed back my changes but was unsuccessful.

oh, the old domain hosting his projects went down, his email is:
jk [at] unix-ag.uni-hannover.de (Jan Krueger)
i'm sure he is glad about any suggestions and fixes.

> If you want to check it out, I can give you a copy.

with the help of jan, we added a way to exclude emails from spamchecking,
wich are delivered through smtp_auth. not sure, if its included in
official version. so i wont change this, but thanks for your offer.
Contact jan, i'm sure he will add your code to the current verwsion :)

best regards,
Matthias

Re: whitelist mailman lists

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Matthias Fuhrmann wrote:

> > > whitelist_from_rcvd *bounces@subdomain domain
> > > whitelist_from_rcvd mailman@localhost 127.0.0.1
> > >
> > > and some more, but all failed.
> > > what went wrong, or does anyone know the correct pattern for
> > > whitelist_from_rcvd and mailman?
>
> thanks for your quick reply, but i guess i missed our configuration.
> we are using sendmail with miltrassassin as milter and spamassassin 3.1.0.
> So there is no MailScanner.conf. thnx anyway for your reply :)
>
> best regards,
> Matthias

Matthias,
What version of miltrassassin are you using? One of the problems with
whitelisting mailing lists is that most of them will change the
envelope-from address to reflect the list but not change the header-from
address, leaving it to point to the original poster.
Many mechanisms for calling SA do -not- make the envelope-from address
available for rule matching (including miltrassassin), thus the failure of
your whitelist_from_rcvd.

I ran into this problem a couple of years ago, when I first started
using spamassassin & miltrassassin. The answer was to modify miltrassassin
to have it add a 'Return-Path:' header to the data that it feeds to SA
so that SA would have the envelope-from address to work with.
All of a sudden whitelist_from_rcvd started working as I expected it to ;)

I've made several mods to miltrassassin, fixing bugs and adding
features that I felt were worth it. I tried to contact the original
author of the program to feed back my changes but was unsuccessful.

If you want to check it out, I can give you a copy.

Dave

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: whitelist mailman lists

Posted by Matthias Fuhrmann <Ma...@stud.uni-hannover.de>.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Vincenzo Martiello wrote:

> Do you use this parameter in MaiScanner.conf ?
> "Ignore Spam Whitelist If Recipients Exceed = "

[...]

Re: whitelist mailman lists

Posted by Vincenzo Martiello <vi...@regione.toscana.it>.
Do you use this parameter in MaiScanner.conf ?
"Ignore Spam Whitelist If Recipients Exceed = "

bye
	vincenzo

--
Vincenzo Martiello
  Regione Toscana -  Tel:+39 055 4383247 - Fax:+39 055 4383195