Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by "Weaver, Scott" <Sw...@rippe.com> on 2003/10/15 16:50:21 UTC

[JETSPEED 2] Choosing a component framework/micro-kernel

I have been evaluating component/service/kernel frameworks.  So far, I really like what I see in Avalon Phoenix, it seems right down the alley of what we are trying to accomplish.  It also has built-in in JMX to manage components.

I briefly looked at picocontainer, very cool, however it is somewhat young where as Phoenix has quite a few projects built upon it, including Apache James.  Same goes for Hivemind with respect to being a less mature project.

I would love if everyone who has used/researched any of these products give me a summary of their findings/experiences so as we can make the best choice for Jetspeed.

I realize we had a recently discussed this in passed thread, but I want to keep this alive as we need to make this decision very soon.  Plus, I want to have as much community involvement/input on this choice as possible.

Regards,
 ________________________________
|                                |
| Scott T Weaver                 |
| <we...@apache.org>            |
| Apache Jetspeed Portal Project |
| Apache Pluto Portlet Container |
|________________________________|

Re: [JETSPEED 2] Choosing a component framework/micro-kernel

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.
Weaver, Scott wrote:

>I have been evaluating component/service/kernel frameworks.  So far, I really like what I see in Avalon Phoenix, it seems right down the alley of what we are trying to accomplish.  It also has built-in in JMX to manage components.
>
>I briefly looked at picocontainer, very cool, however it is somewhat young where as Phoenix has quite a few projects built upon it, including Apache James.  Same goes for Hivemind with respect to being a less mature project.
>
>I would love if everyone who has used/researched any of these products give me a summary of their findings/experiences so as we can make the best choice for Jetspeed.

I had a casual look at HiveMind, SpringFramework, and Pico. My first
impression is that different frameworks will meet different
requirements. A flexible, non-intrusive framework is better than a
rigid, my way or the high way, framework. Different frameworks must live
together since no single one can be the answer for all architecture issues.

In this sense, HiveMind seems to be better than the one based on Avalon.
There was some comparison of HiveMind and Avalon by someone who is
familiar with both, posted on this list sometimes ago. HiveMind fits as
a centralized registry of services and extension points, which is what
the portal and portlet containers are.

Both SpringFramework and Pico seems to design for any arbitrary
container and can fit as extension point(s) in HiveMind. There is some
comparion (probably with some bias) between SpringFramework and Pico on
the SpringFramework site.

I will spend some more time with HiveMind, especially HiveMind with
Commons Chain.

BaTien
DBGROUPS

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Check http://www.acm.org/chapters/webtech/ if you are
interested by the event mentioned previously.

David.

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
To follow up with that thread, here is some more info
on Hivemind. It indeed looks interesting.  Lewis
presentation can be found at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/~hlship/HiveMind.ppt

Outside of the typical IoC support, I believe
interesting features are:

1. The concept of interceptor which allows in a
similar way than aspects to provide cross cutting
points to services (though with quite more lightweight
functionally).

2. Localization support: the ability to localize
services (limited to 1 local per instantiation so not
really for user localization but more for logs).

3. Substitution: The ability to provide configuration
variable substitution at start up (for instance
instantiate a service jdbc parameters through
substitution from a main configuration point).

4. Hivedoc: Interesting to keep track of the service
and their evolution.

Lewis presentation does a good job at providing a good
overview of the framework.

Hivemind seems to have good arguments in its favor but
may be difficult to wrap with CPS (mostly because of
the work performed by the XML configurator).  The XML
configuration probably would have to be closely look
at.

If we decide to wrap Avalon with CPS, I believe it may
still be worth it to explore the use of aspects. Any
thougths on this?

Regards,

David.

Re: [JETSPEED 2] Choosing a component framework/micro-kernel

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Some more service framework comparison.  Interesting
read:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?HiveMind/HiveMindAndAvalon

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonAndOtherShinyContainers

The Hivemind project looks interesting especially the
interceptor stuff.  From what I have read on Hivemind:

"HiveMind is "wide open" compared to Avalon. Any
service can get a reference to any other service; any
module can extend any other module. A lot of HiveMind
is built in HiveMind; people often miss the IoC stuff
because it's accomplished using a HiveMind service,
rather than some kind of native configuration."

One of the posts I read, it does not seems possible to
use Avalon and Hivemind together:

"Avalon takes that problem domain, then adds a strong
"containment" concept (Avalon-Phoenix / Avalon-Merlin)
in places, which comes with additional security,
various kinds of "standalone" features, and
corresponding extra setup.

What avalon also adds everywhere is a strong emphasis
on several patterns, like Inversion of Control, and a
very rigid lifecycle (rules that boil down to "set up
logging then dependencies then create worker threads"
that are encoded in interfaces and enforced by
containers) on every component. All this makes avalon
rather heavy to apply a system. That's a disadvantage
(lot of work, very much nonoptional dependency, some
flexibility lost) and an advantage (rigid, clean,
structured, common setup).

HiveMind simply makes a few different choices, with
its own set of advantages and disadvantages. There's
no IoC, and various bits are /way/ more dynamic than
is desireable in an IoC environment. Looking past all
the "features" and "history" of both frameworks, this,
IMO, is the actual big difference.

Which answers the implicit question "So why not
combine HiveMind and Avalon into a single project?":
there are a few core design choices that are different
between HiveMind and Avalon that make the two
distinctly incompatible. "

It may be worth it trying to ask from guidance from
some of the folks on the Hivemind or Avalon projects.

The Geronimo project is apparently facing the same
kind of issue.  See:

http://wiki.codehaus.org/geronimo/Architecture_2fKernel

This has a nice pros/cons analysis for Avalon.

Regards,

David.

http://www.springframework.org/docs/lightweight_container.html

> [...]
> > web application is Fortress, which competes with
> > Spring's bean container. Spring focuses on
> embedded
> > usage as application context, it does not aim to
> be a
> > foundation for server processes. And of course,
> > Spring's feature set for application development
> goes
> > far beyond the bean container itself."
> >
> > I guess the choice boils down to what we are
> trying to
> > achieve:
> > - What is the primary purpose of the service
> > framework? Provide server services? Provide web
> > application services? Should Jetspeed provide/use
> > framework for developing reusable portlets
> components
> > (as opposed to core portal services)?
> > - What core functionality should the service
> framework
> > provide? AOP, JTA, etc...
> >
> > Just my two cents.  In any case, I like David ST
> > approach to create a commons like layer avoiding
> > get too tightly coupled with the chosen service
> > framework.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > David.
> >
> > --- "Weaver, Scott" <Sw...@rippe.com> wrote:
> > > I have been evaluating component/service/kernel
> > > frameworks.  So far, I really like what I see in
> > > Avalon Phoenix, it seems right down the alley of
> > > what we are trying to accomplish.  It also has
> > > built-in in JMX to manage components.
> > >
> > > I briefly looked at picocontainer, very cool,
> > > however it is somewhat young where as Phoenix
> has
> > > quite a few projects built upon it, including
> Apache
> > > James.  Same goes for Hivemind with respect to
> being
> > > a less mature project.
> > >
> > > I would love if everyone who has used/researched
> any
> > > of these products give me a summary of their
> > > findings/experiences so as we can make the best
> > > choice for Jetspeed.
> > >
> > > I realize we had a recently discussed this in
> passed
> > > thread, but I want to keep this alive as we need
> > > make this decision very soon.  Plus, I want to
> have
> > > as much community involvement/input on this
> choice
> > > as possible.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >  ________________________________
> > > |                                |
> > > | Scott T Weaver                 |
> > > | <we...@apache.org>            |
> > > | Apache Jetspeed Portal Project |
> > > | Apache Pluto Portlet Container |
> > > |________________________________|

> > The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product
> search
> > http://shopping.yahoo.com

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> jetspeed-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> jetspeed-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org

Re: [JETSPEED 2] Choosing a component framework/micro-kernel

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Have you seen hivemind?

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Tim Reilly <ti...@consultant.com>.
May be a dumb question, but is it possible to combine Avalon and Hivemind?

The configuration, service-point, interceptor, etc - paradigm
is very appealing to me.

Let's say you have a usage reporting requirement.
Your marketing department wants real-time stats so they can track campaigns
in real-time
so you implement a "web-bug"/"hidden-pixel" strategy.
Just an example, but your portlet calls a usage logging service. The service
sets up data in the request
for your jsp tags to use during the rendering of the portlet, which adds the
pixel/bug and parameters.

This works fine except a few months later you find out your legal department
has a compliance requirement and
needs the same/similar data, but they need it in common log format and must
be generated on the server,
not derived from data from the original solution.

You create a different service implementation and then configure the service
container to use serviceimpl1, serviceimpl2
or both serviceimpl1 and serviceimpl2

Perhaps the example isn't great, but hopefully the idea comes across.
What I see with hivemind this could easily be "configured-in".
I don't know much about Avalon, but my concern/question is whether or not
Avalon precludes this level of
flexibility or not?

On the general topic; asking for some input from Avalon and Hivemind
contributors may not be
a bad idea.
I recall some commons discussions where H.L. Ship (Hivemind et al) was very
level about why one would
use one over the other (e.g. not over selling - Hivemind over Avalon, just
describing the diff's and reason
for the project when Avalon exists)

I'll see if I can find the post again, if anyone wishes?

Regards
-TR

Posted by "Glenn R. Golden" <gg...@umich.edu>.