Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Randy Paries <rt...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/08 18:41:20 UTC

problems with propset svn:ignore

i though i understood but does not seem to be working as i expected

my current dir structure is
/
/inc
/userdirs/a/aa
/userdirs/b/ba
/userdirs/a hole bunch of recursive dirs
/bunchofotherdirs

so when i do a svn up i want to ignore or not update
userdirs and below
inc/settings.php

i have created a file in / called svnIgnoreFiles.me
i then did

[root@moosejaw html]# svn propset svn:ignore -F svnIgnoreFiles.me .
property 'svn:ignore' set on '.'

i delete userdirs/*

but when i do a svn up it still brings down from svn all the userdirs

what part am i missing??
thanks
Randy

Re: problems with propset svn:ignore

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
Please keep idscussion on the mailing list by using Reply All. My reply below:

On Sep 9, 2011, at 08:17, Randy Paries wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>

>> svn:ignore is for ignoring unversioned files that you do not want to commit to a repository.
>>
>> If the files are already committed to the repository, then svn:ignore is not applicable.
>
> Ryan
> thanks for the response.
> how is the best way not to override files like settings.php when i do
> an svn up to my production server?
> thanks
> Randy

Don't keep settings.php in the repository. See:

http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#ignore-commit

Re: problems with propset svn:ignore

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.