Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2006/05/24 18:44:42 UTC

Re: What next?

That's what I was wondering too. In our case the projects are
isolated from the rest of the code, so sandbox would be a preferred
approach. Cayenne project committers do not have the infrastructure
karma, so we will have to bother somebody else to set this up.

Alternatively I can setup an SVN sandbox on ObjectStyle.org (and I
can manage sandboxes for all other willing SoC apache projects as
well) ... not sure if that's a bad idea from Cayenne incubating
perspective (as we are moving the infrastructure from ObjectStyle to
Apache), but it makes sense from practical standpoint and takes some
load from the Infra.

Any comments on that?

Andrus

Re: What next?

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,

> > Alternatively I can setup an SVN sandbox on ObjectStyle.org (and I  can
> > manage sandboxes for all other willing SoC apache projects as  well) ...
> > not sure if that's a bad idea from Cayenne incubating  perspective (as
> > we are moving the infrastructure from ObjectStyle to  Apache), but it
> > makes sense from practical standpoint and takes some  load from the Infra.
> >
> > Any comments on that?
> >

> Rather than host something outside Apache, I would rather see students
> submit patches to Apache Jira issues. --It's good experience for how
> many Apache projects incorporate contributions.

+1.

The projects where I participate do it the way Jean suggests.  IMHO
it's just as important to get new contributors used to the issue
tracker, to the patch submission process, to the dev mailing list
discussions, and the rest of the community-driven development
practices we use, as it is to get a chunk of code out of them.

Yoav

Re: What next?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Heh, that's actually a more general problem with team development,
both open source and commercial. I've seen people who would not
commit their local work to CVS for weeks or months to postpone
dealing with integration issues :-)

So yes, communicating constant integration paradigm is important. And
providing the right tools is what makes it practical.

Andrus

Re: What next?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: What next?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: What next?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: What next?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: What next?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: What next?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: What next?

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.
On Wed, 24 May 2006 13:28:55 -0400, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Rather than host something outside Apache, I would rather see students
> submit patches to Apache Jira issues. --It's good experience for how
> many Apache projects incorporate contributions.

I can see the value in this, but speaking as someone that contributed a
fair amount of code without commit privileges, it's a sucky situation.
It's tantamount to asking the student to work on the code without an SCM
at all, which benefits no one.  It's nothing ASF-specific but rather a
short-coming of a centralized SCM, such as Subversion.

I recommend that if we go this approach that we at least suggest using SVK
to the students.  Incidentally, I started using SVK just this morning due
to the need to commit code while not connected to a server.  Anyway,
because SVK interacts with subversion, students should be able to leverage
an SCM and contribute patches fairly easily.  I do wonder how this falls
into the whole "development must be done in the open" stance Google has
taken.

--
Kevin

Re: What next?