Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com> on 2003/11/25 21:19:45 UTC

Using Spindle 3.0 alphas with Eclipse 3.0 M5

The Spindle 3 alphas worked pretty well with Eclipse 3.0M4. With M5,
things seemed to break, with some classes (mostly related to jface.text)
not being found. I thought all was lost, as probably stuff had been
refactored.

Thanks to some pointers from some people on the Eclipse newsgroups, I
managed to get Spindle 3.0.29 going with Eclipse 3.0 M5. It just
requires getting it the jface.text classes.

The easiest mechanism is to go into your Eclipse install, and inside your
    org.eclipse.ui_3.0.0
plugin underneath the plugins dir, in the <requires> element of the
plugin.xml file, add the following line
  <import plugin="org.eclipse.jface.text" export="true"/>

This will essentially always bring in the jface.text classes, and from
this point on Spindle seems to be happy (you may have to go to the
Manage Configurations area and re-enable it).

Now this may have performance implications. With the XMLBuddy plugin
(also broken by M5), I was able to get the same effect just by going
into that plugin's own plugin.xml file, and adding the line
  <import plugin="org.eclipse.jface.text">
into the requires section.

That solution is better as it doesn't effect all of eclipse, just the
individual plugin. Theorectically this could be done manually for
Spindle too, but you'd have to do it for both of the main Spindle
plugins and the solareclipse plugins that Spindle depends on. Given that
Spindle is being updated pretty often, it would be better if Geoff added
these lines himself, with the optional attribute set to true, so it
doesn't break inside of Eclipse 2.1x...

Regards,
Colin

Re: [Spindle-developer] Using Spindle 3.0 alphas with Eclipse 3.0 M5

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@intelligentworks.com>.
Good suggestion. Its in 3.0.30 (coming soon)

Geoff