Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2002/12/01 04:47:15 UTC

Re: Newsletter - Request for content

Sorry for the lateness Rob. Tbh I've been completely in holiday mood and
have been relaxing. I'll Cc to the Commons mail list and let anyone there
correct me/add to it [if someone does, make sure to include Rob in the
email].

 -----------

--Releases--

November saw the release of two new projects from Jakarta Commons, and the
release of a bugfix for another project.

Commons Validator 1.0 was mentioned in the previous newsletter. It was
released on November 1st and is a validation framework from the Struts
people.

Commons CLI 1.0 was released on the 6th of November and is an API for
parsing command line arguments. It is the direct descendant of 3 older
argument parsing APIs and other APIs have affected it over mail list
discussions. This gives it a very high pedigree and makes it a great
choice for handling the command line.

Commons Lang 1.0.1 is the first bugfix release for the Lang project. There
are no new APIs or deprecated functionalities, so all Commons Lang users
are advised to upgrade, although the bugfixes are not earth-shattering.

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/release/commons-validator/v1.0/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/release/commons-cli/v1.0/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/release/commons-lang/v1.0.1/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

--Gossip--

November was quiet for Commons, as it was for all of Apache. Indeed, the
Commons mail list dropped by 35%.

The Patterns project in the Sandbox has been mothballed as its code is to
go into Commons Lang and Commons Util. Work has begun on moving the
BeanUtils reflection code over to Commons Lang and various BeanUtils bugs
were dealt with.

A new database utility project has been proposed with generic JDBC(tm)
utilities and lives under the name of 'DbUtils' in the sandbox and a
project named 'attributes' has been proposed to handle runtime
metadata attributes.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/attributes/

=========================
<end>

Obviously I only really put what I remember from the month and reading the
mail list again. Jelly had lots of work, but I've no clue what as it's
mainly commits.

If there have been any articles, [Not the 2 Digester ones and 1 Lang ones,
they were last month] then they'd be useful too.

Hen

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Henri Yandell" <ba...@generationjava.com>
> Sorry for the lateness Rob. Tbh I've been completely in holiday mood and
> have been relaxing. I'll Cc to the Commons mail list and let anyone there
> correct me/add to it [if someone does, make sure to include Rob in the
> email].

Here are the main changes that have happened recently on the Jelly
project...

* XPath sorting now added to the XML library

* <j:useBean> can now construct beans with constructor parameters

* better reporting of JellyUnit failures, line numbers, expressions etc.

* XMLUnit library added for unit testing of XML inside JellyUnit

So now JellyUnit can support the following XML unit testing constructs

* XPath based assertions via <test:assert xpath="..."/>
* schema validation via the jelly:validate library, testing XML against
DTDs, XML Schema, RelaxNG etc
* comparing 2 documents for equality using the new XMLUnit library
* performing XSLT on some XML and then then performing any of the above
* parsing HTML via the Neko parser and treating it as XML in any of the
above

As well as Jexl based assertions, assertEquals and a new <assertThrown> tag
to test for exceptions being thrown in Jelly scripts.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/