Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Mukul Gandhi <ga...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/26 06:11:34 UTC

XSLT 2.0 processor discussion

Hi all,
   I've been tempted to bring this topic again, to this list. I think it'd
be really great for Xalan to have a XSLT 2.0 processor as well (its 1.0
processor is just great). I'll attempt to enumerate following options with
my notions of pros-and-cons, for Xalan to provide an XSLT 2.0 processor as
well,
1) Natively enhance Xalan's current XSLT 1.0 processor to a 2.0 processor,
in a branch of its own. The effort and time to market for this, would be
highest.
2) Use Eclipse's XPath 2.0 processor (also known as PsychoPath XPath 2.0
processor), in the XSLT 2.0 codebase which Xalan would develop. This option
saves us the effort of writing a native XPath 2.0 processor. But perhaps
the cons is that, PsychoPath XPath 2.0 processor can accept only the DOM
input to convert it to XDM.
3) Is there any possibility of IBM donating in some way its XSLT 2.0
processor technology to Xalan? If it can be done, people will flock to the
IBM derived Xalan's XSLT 2.0 processor.
4) Can we use Saxon's latest home edition XSLT 2.0 processor (its open
source), and convert to to Xalan's XSLT 2.0 processor? I believe, Saxon's
open source products come with Mozilla Public License, and I'm not sure how
suitable it is for having it in Xalan?

I'd also suggest, that any XSLT 2.0 processor from Xalan should be
schema-aware using Xerces's XSD processor.

I'm still not thinking about XSLT 3.0, which is already a W3C spec. I think
we should have XSLT 2.0 first.

Needless to say, I'll be happy to participate in any such work.

Mukul Gandhi

Re: XSLT 2.0 processor discussion

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 2:36 AM, Scott Boag <sc...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> In order to build that community, a strong purpose would need to drive it,
> above what the current os offerings provide, including Saxon.  So, give it
> some thought.

my personal thoughts,

I think despite IBM not willing to support further XSLT (3.0) development
at Xalan, we should still have a goal to implement XSLT 3.0 at Xalan. Yes
and I strongly feel (agreeing to Scott's point earlier) that we should
start developing for XSLT 3.0 and not 2.0 (we can skip XSLT 2.0 development
altogether). We should implement the 3.0 processor, as schema aware,
supporting streaming and with all other goodies defined in the spec.

In case, Xalan decides to start developing XSLT 3.0 processor, I'll be
happy to be a committer to that project (I'm also a Xerces-J committer);
sorry if this sounds rude. I'd like to contribute actively to any XSLT 3.0
development at Xalan.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi All:

I like all this talk of XSLT 2 and 3. I applied a couple of patches years
ago and released 2.7.2, but there has been very little activity on this
project before and after that.

There has been recent activity in JIRA regarding patches and reports, but I
have not taken the time to research or apply them. I am by no means a Xalan
expert here. When I asked for feedback a couple of years ago on this ML
regarding the state of various branches, I got zero replies IIRC.

So we might be facing a steep learning curve here, what amounts to
effectively resuscitating this valuable project.

Gary

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <ga...@gmail.com>.
Interestingly, I can see at this location
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xalan/java/branches/, following folders