Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Phillip Rhodes <sp...@rhoderunner.com> on 2007/02/08 15:29:47 UTC

Can you vote for options for webmail for james solution?

I have to install a webmail program that works with James.  Can you vote
on which option would make the most sense given that while I am a very
experienced Java developer (tapestry, lucene, spring, hibernate,
mqseries, jms) , I am not familiar with james/email systems.

1) Squirrel Mail:  The good webmail systems out there support imap, I
don't think squirrel mail even supports pop3.
2) Claros:  I installed Claros, it was buggy and would take 5+ minutes
to login to the system.
3) Get the james imap server working so I can use squirrel mail.  Could
I get it to a production quality state so that I am not spending every
other day stressed out with bug fixing because someone can't get their
webmail?
4) Write a java webapp that uses jdbc to read the inbox (like imap) and
send basic send mail capabilities.
5) Any other pop3 webmail systems out there that work work well for a
large inbox?
6) Any other options?

I have about 16 hours of time I am willing to devote to this, more if I
like the idea.

Phillip

Re: Can you vote for options for webmail for james solution?

Posted by Michael Weissenbacher <mw...@dermichi.com>.
Hi,
I don't use JAMES as Mail store but forward all mails to a local
Courier-IMAP (via the remote delivery mailet with a gateway). Then I use
squirrelmail to access it. The only drawback is that squirrelmail gets
considerably slow on mailboxes with >1000 Mails. I guess that's because
it always fetches all Mail headers.

Michael

Posted by Bob Kraai <bo...@kraai.com>.
Hipergate has a nice webmail component that I use with James for a little
over a year.  Had some trouble and had to patch a few things to work with
attachments.  I think that I had to patch some other little stuff too.  I
have not upgraded since more than a year ago, so newer versions might have a
more robust webmail.
http://www.hipergate.org
---Bob