Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Elvy <pi...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/05 18:21:28 UTC

sun, com.sun and org.osgi.framework.bootdelegation

hi all,

"org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved package in bundle 4:
package; (package=sun.java2d)"

As you can see, I'm having issues resolving the package sun.java2d.

I tried setting this on my config.properties file :
org.osgi.framework.bootdelegation=sun.*,com.sun.*, but it doesn't get any
better.

I even tried to add sun and com.sun to org.osgi.framework.system.packages
but that fails too.

I assume Felix does concider the bootdelegation property.

Some please help me !! :-((

-----
Tell me something you don't know!

Re: sun, com.sun and org.osgi.framework.bootdelegation

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 06/12/2007, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 06.12.2007, 04:23 -0800 schrieb Elvy:
> > Why aren't sun and com.sun packages fully declared in the default
> > config.properties file? This would ensure presence in
> > org.osgi.framework.system.packages.
> >
> > Since those packages are part of the standard java rt.jar, one should
> expect
> > them to be treated just like, let's say, javax.
> >
> > Any particuliar reason...
>
> Yes, sun and com.sun packages are not part of the offical Java API and
> having them by defulat would open doors for non-portable solutions. For
> this reason, it is better to require explicitly setting these
> properties/packages.

Sun has an FAQ on this here:
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/faq/faq-sun-packages.html

Regards
> Felix

Cheers, Stuart

Re: sun, com.sun and org.osgi.framework.bootdelegation

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 06/12/2007, Elvy <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why aren't sun and com.sun packages fully declared in the default
> config.properties file? This would ensure presence in
> org.osgi.framework.system.packages.
>
> Since those packages are part of the standard java rt.jar,

actually these are implementation specific packages that might not appear in
non-Sun JVMs (they do not form part of the official spec, unlike java and
javax)

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Elvy wrote:
> Why aren't sun and com.sun packages fully declared in the default
> config.properties file? This would ensure presence in
> org.osgi.framework.system.packages.

Where do you mean to declare them? There is no intended relationship
between boot delegation and system packages. Boot delegation is for
making class path packages available to bundles without requiring them
to have Import-Package declarations for those packages. System packages
is for making class path packages available to bundles while requiring
them to have Import-Package declarations for those packages.

We generally do not want to encourage people to use non-standard API, so
we don't expose these packages by default using either of these mechanisms.

-> richard

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Well, if you are getting an "unresolved package" exception, then
> putting it on the boot delegation property will not help, since this
> does not provide it as an export to resolve the bundle's import of
> that package. Boot delegation automatically gives bundles access to a
> class without having to import it at all.

That should say, "...automatically gives a bundle access to a class path
package without having to import it at all."

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.