Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by kvrohit <kv...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/10 07:49:29 UTC

Does TomEE 1.7.1 support JSF 1.1?

Greetings,

I am trying to deploy a legacy JSF 1.1 application on TomEE, so far I am not
able to get it working. After trying several options, I am of the opinion
that doing this is not possible on TomEE. Is this true?

If not, then could you point to some documentation on how to get this
working?

TomEE version used: Plume

Thanks!

Re: Does TomEE 1.7.1 support JSF 1.1?

Posted by kvrohit <kv...@gmail.com>.
Cool. Will check once the snapshot is available...

Re: Does TomEE 1.7.1 support JSF 1.1?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
OpenWebBeans is built in a very modular fashion. We add integration features by simply dropping the plugin into the classpath. The webbeans-jsf* module adds support for 2 features:
1.) CDI @ConversationScoped support for JSF
2.) CDI EL support for JSF.

Out of the box we have plugins to support JSF-2.0++ and JSF-1.2. We do not support JSF-1.1 (was way too old in 2009 already).

Which parts do you need for your JSF application? Do you need CDI @ConversationScoped integration?

If you only need EL integration then you probably can add the WebBeansELResolver in your faces-application.xml and remove webbeans-jsf* completely?

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Used openwebbeans-jsf12-1.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar but should be pretty much the
same as 1.2.7 version (but didnt check).

You are surely right the fix was mainly for 1.2 jsf apps, that said I can
propose you to test 2 things:
1- if you app is just a legacy one (hope so ;)) then remove from tomee/lib
openwebbeans-jsf*
2- if not you'll need to repackage openejb-jsf12 to remove the view-handler
from faces-config.xml

Romain Manni-Bucau
<http://www.tomitribe.com>

Posted by kvrohit <kv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Romain,

[...]

	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:769)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
PS: your app now runs on tomee 2 (snapshot is not yet deployed on
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/openejb/apache-tomee/
but
you can build it yourself from sources if you want)

Romain Manni-Bucau
<http://www.tomitribe.com>

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
I think it should also work in 1.7.1.

This is actually not a bug but basically some modularity feature you get from OpenWebBeans.
Basically CDI is JavaEE6. But in OpenWebBeans we still support a lot of older integration scenarios as well. And even pure Java SE. OWB is built around a ‚core‘ which has only 450k and supports SE + interceptors, decorators, etc (in comparision to our size even Guice with it’s 3.5MB looks fat). All other EE integration features are added as ‚OpenWebBeans-plugins‘.

As TomEE-1.7.x targets EE6 and TomEE-2.0.x even EE7 it by default packages the JSF2 support module. The difference between JSF-1.2 and JSF-2 is mainly the handling of the ‚Application‘ interface [1]. Up to JSF-1.2 you had to implement a custom Application (we need that to attach our own CDI EL-Resolver) for each JSF version. And the Application interface got changed a lot with each JSF version.

To not having to provide an own version of JSF integration code over and over again the JSF EG decided to introduce an Abstract ApplicationWrapper base class [1]. This is what we use by default in our webbeans-jsf (that is JSF2) module. The webbeans-jsf12 module cannot use this new abstract class though. And that is the reason why you need to switch those 2 jars if you like to run with a JSF-1.2 container like Mojarra-1.2.

LieGrue,
strub

PS: I always prefer explaining those kind of things to developers instead of simply telling them what to do in a blackbox kind of way. We are all cooking with water still - although our water is pretty damn hot sometimes ;)

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/faces/application/Application.html
[2] http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/faces/application/ApplicationWrapper.html

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

surely linked to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-1546

can still have few issues later but you are right this is not easy to
workaround

Romain Manni-Bucau
<http://www.tomitribe.com>

Posted by kvrohit <kv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kvrohit <kv...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Attaching the sample app...

jsf1-app.zip
<http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/file/n4674360/jsf1-app.zip>

Re: Does TomEE 1.7.1 support JSF 1.1?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I dont see why it shouldnt without anything particular. Do you have a
stacktrace to share?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
s/myfaces/mojarra/ i guess

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.