Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "michael.boom" <my...@yahoo.com> on 2013/11/01 09:13:39 UTC

Replication after re adding nodes to cluster (sleeping replicas)

I have a SolrCloud cluster holding 4 collections, each with with 3 shards and
replication factor = 2.
They all live on 2 machines, and I am currently using this setup for
testing.

However, i would like to connect this test setup to our live application,
just for benchmarking and evaluating if it can handle the big qpm number.
I am planning also to setup a new machine, and add new nodes manually, one
more replica for each shard on the new machines, in case the first two have
problems handling the big qpm.
But what i would like to do is after I set up the new nodes, to shut down
the new machine and only put it back in the cluster if it's needed.

Thus, getting to the title of this mail:
After re adding the 3rd machine to the cluster, will the replicas be
automatically synced with the leader, or do i need to manually trigger this
somehow ?

Is there a better idea for having this sleeping  replicas? I bet lots of
people faced this problem, so a best practice must be out there.

-----
Thanks,
Michael

Re: Replication after re adding nodes to cluster (sleeping replicas)

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
The whole point of SolrCloud is to automatically take care of all
the ugly details of synching etc. You should be able to add a node
and, assuming it has been assigned to a shard, do nothing.
The node will start up, synch with the leader, get registered and
start handling queries without you having to do anything.

If you shut the node down, SolrCloud will figure that out and stop
sending requests to it.

If yo then bring the node back up, SolrCloud will figure out how
to synch it with the leader and just make it happen. When it's
synched, it'll start serving requests.

Watch the Solr admin page and you'll see the status change as
these operations happen. You'll have to refresh the screen....

And finally, watch the Solr log on the new node, that'll give you
a good sense of what the steps are.

Best,
Erick