Posted to user@shiro.apache.org by sudheer kumar komirishetty <ko...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/03 10:07:51 UTC

Shiro for PHP

Hi,

We have an application where the front end is coded in php, which talks to
backend webapp.
We wanted php code to call the backend service to login and authorize the
user,
as part of the authorization, we want to return all the roles and
permissions of the user as response to php, so that it can be  cached and
used subsequently. Unfortunately, I couldn;t find any api that is exposed
by Shiro. Any specific reason has to why this functionality was not
provided ? or Am I missing something here ?
Is there a way we can achieve this using features provided by shiro ? or Do
we have to add custom implementation to fetch roles and permissions after
successful login ?

Regards,
Sudheer.

Re: Shiro for PHP

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hi Sudheer,

Shiro's scope as a project is limited to being a security framework that
developers use inside the apps they are writing to help secure their apps.
 It is currently a JVM-only framework and binary incompatible with PHP.

People sometimes use PHP (or other languages) to communicate with a
Shiro-enabled JVM-based web application, but they do this work themselves
using whatever mechanisms they desire (e.g. REST API, etc).  Once a request
hits the JVM-based server though, Shiro is great at assisting the
developers writing that backend app.  There are so many different ways to
do this based on the technologies you use or who you work for or what your
app requires, that it just doesn't make sense for Shiro to tackle that
problem too.

For a multi-language authentication and user management REST API service
that all of your apps can 'point to', I'd use Stormpath, but then again,
I'm biased ;) (and to be fair, the two scopes are quite different: Shiro is
a framework, Stormpath is a full blown product/service.  Shiro goes *in*
and helps you develop your JVM-based app, and Stormpath (for example) is
something that any of your apps - regardless of programming language - can
talk *to*.  We of course have native integration for Shiro-enabled apps to
talk to Stormpath for people that like to use both).

HTH!

--
Les Hazlewood | @lhazlewood
CTO, Stormpath | http://stormpath.com | @goStormpath | 888.391.5282

Re: Shiro for PHP

Posted by Robobeans <ro...@gmail.com>.
Does Shiro interoperate with PHP sessions?