Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ge...@wellsfargo.com on 2006/01/18 16:10:45 UTC

message style (was: Non-discussion emails)

I'd just like to point out that this message, being a simple one-liner
without any context quoted back, is more appropriate to a forum than to
a mailinglist, where the context is more likely to get separated from
the reply.  I fear that, if this style grows due to access via a forum,
this mailing list will become unintelligible to me when read as email.

 George Dinwiddie
 http://www.idiacomputing.com

Re: message style (was: Non-discussion emails)

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 9:10 AM -0600 1/18/06, <Ge...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
>I'd just like to point out that this message, being a simple one-liner
>without any context quoted back, is more appropriate to a forum than to
>a mailinglist, where the context is more likely to get separated from
>the reply.  I fear that, if this style grows due to access via a forum,
>this mailing list will become unintelligible to me when read as email.

You make a good basic point, but then again, for someone who has been
following a thread, the context in an email message can become
annoying, and the messages from Jive include a link to the thread, so
the context is readily available for those who are looking for it.

I guess we'll just have to see.  Certainly GMane and Nabble work more
or less as Jive will, and they haven't crippled the lists.

Joe
--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog