Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Paul Obeda (ACM)" <pd...@acm.org> on 2004/01/21 14:54:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 (WinXP) and McAfee Firewall compatible?

I have installed Apache (2.0.48), and appear to be having the
"traditional" problems with (McAfee) firewall interactions.  I'm
running Windows XP (patches updated at least monthly).

In particular, I get a continuous set of the following messages
dropped into my error log (with the level set to "debug"), after
the multiple threads are launched:
[Wed Jan 21 06:42:22 2004] [debug] child.c(547): (OS 10038)An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.  : winnt_accept: AcceptEx failed due to early client disconnect. Reallocate the accept socket and try again.

There are a number of prior bug reports in the database dealing
with similar problems (some with slightly different text, but the
same basic issue being reported), and a thread under McAfee's
support forums also dealing with it.  No pages get served up,
although there is evidence that the TCP/IP connection is established
(stopping the server drops the connection to the client).

Bug Report # 8325 appears to have addressed this for 2.0.44, with
the following text in the changelist:
*) Resolve the error "An operation was attempted on something
     that is not a socket.  : winnt_accept: AcceptEx failed.
     Attempting to recover." for users of various firewall and
     anti-virus software on Windows.  PR 8325  [William Rowe]

But ... the problem appears to persist (reports have continued on
various releases).  Two work-arounds have been suggested:
1) Remove (uninstall & reboot) the firewall product, or
2) Use the 1.3.xx server instead of the 2.0.yy server.

Is there a fix available?  Was this fixed and re-broken?  Is an
actual fix still being pursued?  Is there any updates from either
Microsoft or McAfee that anyone is aware of (I can't find any).
Is there another option than the two listed above?

Also, there had been a comment that something was going to be
added to the FAQ for (in)compatibility; I don't find any such
mention.  Has it been dropped, or is it hidden?

Regards,

Paul O.
pdobeda@acm.org

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 (WinXP) and McAfee Firewall compatible?

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Paul Obeda (ACM) wrote:
> Is there a fix available?  Was this fixed and re-broken?  Is an
> actual fix still being pursued?  Is there any updates from either
> Microsoft or McAfee that anyone is aware of (I can't find any).
> Is there another option than the two listed above?

You should really avoid using 3rd-party software firewalls when running a
server, and instead use a good hardware one.

One reason is that an intruder that succeeds in compromising the machine can
disable a software firewall, but not a hardware firewall.

The other reason is that a firewall, such as McAfee, replaces parts of the
OS TCP/IP implementation with its own, often badly implemented and varies
slightly in behaviour, which is why they often don't play well with
sophisticated server software such as Apache.

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 (WinXP) and McAfee Firewall compatible?

Posted by Luis Moreira <lu...@esinnovation.pt>.
I, for one, don't use McAfee firewall, but instead a freeware (Tiny) that
does quit nicely.
The firewal from McAfee keeps appearing as a source of troubles.

Anyway, not always disabling a firewall stops it from annoying. You have to
fully uninstall it

Luis