Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "V. Cekvenich" <vc...@basebeans.com> on 2003/01/17 18:45:49 UTC

Repost from users list: Re: Axis/SOAP proposal for Struts

+1. And also XML RPC called via JavaScript from a browser w/o a submit.
(To me, any time you call an "action" before a bean.... == Struts)

Already in 1.1 execute() signature is a bit different for tiles action
then "Struts" action.

But maybe post on dev list for suggestions? (or even put sample
implementation in bugzila). I am sure lots of good and bad ideas:
-Have struts work a bit more like JasperRepports - via Jelly ie:
describe the JSP page in XML, so other projects can have code generators
and IDE's. (like they have Eclipse plugin in fo JasperReport XML)
- a default action on dispatch action; dispatch action for tiles;
-ship Struts with JSTL via Maven;
-more interfaces?;
-deprecate some tags;
- make a DAO interface in Commons; (extends iterator?) people could
implement many ways.
- more exotic JavaScript tags in Taglibs (Calendar, ....);
- some default actions with default behavior (ex: onExecuteSave()
{formBean.save();};
-encapsulate req, resp, mapping, formbean into an event object so :
execute(eventObject eo) { x= eo.getRequest(); .....] this allows for
many action signatures to be replaced with one;
- add a testIt() abstract method to formBeans and the like (thus
encouraging developers to unit test the bean patters before placing in
Struts
- Styxx, Stuts Menu added in
- Should formBean extend collection and have a DAO property (makes
master detail multi row trivial)
- indexed tag alternative having a concept of groped bands with nesting,
like JasperReports (I have no Idea how to implement)

Oh yeah, maybe first let you ship 1.1 and get out of the way and thank
you one more time for even having 1.1. (and then see the initiatives).
Is there a new list of open bugs for 1.1 release?

.V