Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Michael Berkowitz <mb...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/08 21:40:57 UTC

Newbie Questions

First off, let me assure you that I've searched around the forums and the
project documentation before posting this.  If the answers I'm seeking are
already written up somewhere, please just point me to them.
I would like to be able to use Axis2 in the same basic way that I used Axis,
which is to start with a compiled Java interface (.class file), generate a
WSDL from it, generate client stubs from the WSDL, and then call the remote
methods in my client application using the same method signature as in the
original interface (of course I'm leaving out a lot of steps here, like
implementing the interface on the server, connecting the client to the
endpoint and deploying the WSDD).
For example, if my interface has a method that looks like this:
	public int getusername(String name);
I'd like to be able to call a client stub like this:
	int i = stub.getusername("someuser");

All the examples I've seen of Axis2 seem to wrap parameters and return
values in classes, so that my client code would have to look something like:
	ParamWrapper p = new ParamWrapper();
	p.setName("someuser");
	ResultWrapper r = stub.getusername(p);
	int i = r.getResult();

That is decidedly *not* what I'm looking for.  Frankly, I find it hard to
believe there's anyone who wouldn't prefer to work the former way, rather
than the latter.  My question then, is "Can I easily work the way I'm used
to using Axis2, and if so, how?"

If you'll continue to indulge me, I have one more question:
I've installed the Axis2 plugin for IDEA.  When I use it I get to a screen
asking me to "Select lib files" and "Select WSDLs".  What lib files is it
talking about, and what WSDLs?  Won't this generate the WSDL *for* me?
Anyway, I can't get to the Finish line with the plugin.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Re: Newbie Questions

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Lib files mean jars which are located at the folder where AXIS2/jars is located as is $AXIS2_HOME/jars
M-
This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its
contents

Re: Newbie Questions

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Libs actually mean third party libraries which will be needed by your web
service and WSDL's refer to the WSDL's for the service.  Currently  there is
no option  for  generating the WSDL. Currently the service archieve creator
is just a packaging tool. We hope to improve the plugin by adding all the
options available on the command line, this will be addressed after 1.1though.

I'll add a tool tip and include the details in the documentation. BTW which
version of the axis2-idea-plugin did u use? the 1.1 version of the plugin
will be available soon.

Thanks,
Keith.

Re: Newbie Questions

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Ah, well, hopefully ADB will catch up with JiBX on this at some point...
  :-)

  - Dennis

Re: Newbie Questions

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.