Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> on 2014/07/29 04:14:22 UTC

Central and Man-in-the-middle

Hey all,

Just been reading [1] after it was mentioned in both #scala and #clojure
on irc.freenode.org now, is there anything that can be done to alleviate
some of these issues?

oss.sonatype.org now requires everything to be GPG signed before being
uploaded to central, but I'm not sure about any of the other means of
getting artifacts uploaded.

Are there any plugins out there to verify GPG signings of dependencies?

Something to discuss on the dev-hangout maybe?

[1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8099713

Re: Central and Man-in-the-middle

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@infinity.nu>.
http://blog.sonatype.com/2014/07/ssl_connectivity_for_central/

--Brian (mobile)

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello,

I have started a POC a while back which can "lock" dependencies by a
special checksum file. However it is not really secure as a plugin, as
you cannot avoid other plugins overwrite yourself.

It is not finished, it was an execise in some internal maven apis:

https://github.com/ecki/lockdep-maven-plugin

There is a productive plugin which can generate checksums, but not
check them:

https://github.com/nicoulaj/checksum-maven-plugin

Greetings
Bernd

BTW: Bintray' jcenter mirrors central and other stuff and offers SSL, of
course it adds additional possibilities to inject malicious stuff.
And yes, there are PGP files, but not really a good way to verify
them. I wish ASF infra would publish a md5sum of their maven2
directory.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.