Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Dmitry Pushkarev <um...@stanford.edu> on 2009/02/03 18:53:04 UTC

HDD benchmark/checking tool

Dear hadoop users,

Recently I have had a number of drive failures that slowed down processes a
lot until they were discovered. It is there any easy way or tool, to check
HDD performance and see if there any IO errors?

Currently I wrote a simple script that looks at /var/log/messages and greps
everything abnormal for /dev/sdaX. But if you have better solution I'd
appreciate if you share it.

---

Dmitry Pushkarev

+1-650-644-8988

Re: HDD benchmark/checking tool

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
Also, you want to look at combining SMART hard drive monitoring (most
drives support SMART at this point) and combine it with Nagios.

It often lets us known when a hard drive is about to fail *and* when
the drive is under-performing.

Brian

Posted by Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>.
Dmitry,

Posted by Mikhail Yakshin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Dmitry Pushkarev wrote:

> Recently I have had a number of drive failures that slowed down processes a
> lot until they were discovered. It is there any easy way or tool, to check
> HDD performance and see if there any IO errors?
>
> Currently I wrote a simple script that looks at /var/log/messages and greps
> everything abnormal for /dev/sdaX. But if you have better solution I'd
> appreciate if you share it.

If you have any hardware RAIDs you'd like to monitor/manage, good
chances that you'd want to use Einarc to access them:
http://www.inquisitor.ru/doc/einarc/ - in fact, it won't hurt even if
you use just a bunch of HDDs or software RAIDs :)

--
WBR, Mikhail Yakshin