Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Shay Seng <sh...@1618labs.com> on 2014/01/09 19:49:34 UTC

log4j question

Hey,

In "
https://spark.incubator.apache.org/docs/0.8.1/configuration.html#configuring-logging
"
It states:
*"Spark uses log4j <http://logging.apache.org/log4j/> for logging. You can
configure it by adding a log4j.properties file in the conf directory. One
way to start is to copy the existing log4j.properties.template located
there."*

I did as specified and added a log4j.properties file in the spark conf
directory. However this did not suppress any logging.
However if I launch spark from a directory that contains a log4j.properties
file, it does get read in.

Does the docs need re-writing, or is this a bug?

tks,
Shay

Re: log4j question

Posted by Archit Thakur <ar...@gmail.com>.
Did you change

log4j.rootCategory=INFO, console

line in your file. Or you only moved the file removing template extension?

Coz if you didn't by this log4j configuration, it'll output the log to
console and not supress it.

Like Khanderao said do,
log4j.rootCategory=OFF

If you don't want any logs.

Re: log4j question

Posted by Andrew Or <an...@databricks.com>.
What do you mean it cannot work? Did you copy the log4j.properties.template
to a new file called log4j.properties? If you're running standalone
cluster, the logs should be in the $SPARK_HOME/logs directory.

Re: log4j question

Posted by Sophia <sl...@163.com>.
I have tryed to see the log,but the log4j.properties cannot work,how to do to
see the running logs?

Re: log4j question

Posted by Sophia <sl...@163.com>.
I have tryed to see the log,but the log4j.properties cannot work,how to do?

Re: log4j question

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.
Khanderao, I think Shay is talking about the details of how to deploy /
where to put the file, not the directives to put inside the log4j file.

I also believe that the docs are wrong w.r.t. log4j, particularly for the
YARN standalone instructions @
https://spark.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/running-on-yarn.html where
it says:

  # Configure logging
  $ cp conf/log4j.properties.template conf/log4j.properties

Maybe this works / worked for some versions of Spark and/or YARN, just not
the ones I am using. I'd guess there is some classpath / set-up script
related bug somewhere, or maybe some issue with deploying the file to the
cluster via the distributed cache mechanism. Or maybe I just missed a step
somewhere, but I tried a bunch of things.

Mike

Re: log4j question

Posted by Khanderao kand <kh...@gmail.com>.
Shay,