Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2001/10/30 11:19:00 UTC

RE: Distributing the JSSE

An interesting alternative to JSSE :

http://www.rtfm.com/puretls/

I'm in contact with the developper which say it
could make the API JSSE compatible.

And the license is BSD.

May be even a good project candidate for jakarta.apache.org !!!

-
Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____
EMAIL : hgomez@slib.fr        (. .)

Re: Distributing the JSSE

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 10/30/01 5:19 AM, "GOMEZ Henri" <hg...@slib.fr> wrote:
>
> > An interesting alternative to JSSE :
> >
> > http://www.rtfm.com/puretls/
> >
> > I'm in contact with the developper which say it
> > could make the API JSSE compatible.
> >
> > And the license is BSD.
> >
> > May be even a good project candidate for jakarta.apache.org !!!
>
> Would we still run into cryto export problems?

IANAL, but in the US I believe we we would.  The export regulations have
been relaxed somewhat (you don't go to jail automatically any more :-),
but you still need to take some positive steps (self-registration, client
IP address checking, etc.) to ensure that downloads are not going to
countries on the "bad" list.  This is not infrastructure we currently have
in place at Apache, and I suspect there would be some resistance to
implementing it.

Craig McClanahan

Re: Distributing the JSSE

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Jason van Zyl at jvanzyl@zenplex.com wrote:

> Would we still run into cryto export problems?

Why OpenSSL.ORG is actually hosted in Europe? If we do so, we must set up
infrastructure over -> here :)

> But I agree that it would be great to have a JSSE implementation!

Would be cool, but it may be better to hand it over to crypto-specific
projects, such as OpenSSL (never talked to any of them about this, BTW).

    Pier

Re: Distributing the JSSE

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On 10/30/01 5:19 AM, "GOMEZ Henri" <hg...@slib.fr> wrote:

> An interesting alternative to JSSE :
>
> http://www.rtfm.com/puretls/
>
> I'm in contact with the developper which say it
> could make the API JSSE compatible.
>
> And the license is BSD.
>
> May be even a good project candidate for jakarta.apache.org !!!

Would we still run into cryto export problems?

But I agree that it would be great to have a JSSE implementation!

> -
> Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____
> EMAIL : hgomez@slib.fr        (. .)
> PGP KEY : 697ECEDD    ...oOOo..(_)..oOOo...
> PGP Fingerprint : 9DF8 1EA8 ED53 2F39 DC9B 904A 364F 80E6

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine