Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by dh...@lexmark.com on 2005/03/01 17:34:57 UTC

Re: JK1.2.9 and dynamic change of properties

Hi Mladen,

Just to clarify - will this allow us to configure the load-balancing on the
fly according to the load of the tomcat's involved?

cheers,

David

|         |           Mladen Turk      |
|         |           <mladen.turk@jbos|
|         |           s.com>           |
|         |           02/24/2005 12:55 |
|         |           "Tomcat Users    |
|         |           List"            |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                               |
  |       To:       Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>                                            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  Re: JK1.2.9 and dynamic change of properties                                                  |

Lionel Farbos wrote:
> A question for JK workers :
> I see in the JK 1.2.9 roadmap that a dynamic change of workers'properties
will be possible at runtime.

> But, actually, when I do "apache reload", the change is possible at
runtime without loosing requests. No ?

Yes and no. You will lose all the connections to tomcats on gracefull
restart. Not to mention that if you make an syntax error in the config
the apache will exit, so you will need to check that before.

It can take up to session time for child to exit 30 seconds or more.

> So, what is the innovation of this feature ?

Changes are visible immediately thanks to shared memory, and
you are not loosing existing connections.
Also the loadbalancer stats are visible for all child processes.
And you don't need access to filesystem (except for JkMountFile).
It works on all platforms.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: JK1.2.9 and dynamic change of properties

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
dhay@lexmark.com wrote:
> Hi Mladen,
>
> Just to clarify - will this allow us to configure the load-balancing on the
> fly according to the load of the tomcat's involved?

If you mean to balance according to CPU utilization, it won't
do that. For that we would need some native component that
would measure the CPU usage on Tomcat side.
The closest you can get is to use the 'transfer' load
balancer method, and instead balancing on number of requests,
balance on actual data read/transferred to Tomcat.
You can then adjust balance factors depending on application
and backend specmarks.

For example if you query a database the result set might return
one or many rows, so the actual data transferred will reflect
the CPU usage for that request (in a way of course).

Regards,
Mladen