Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de> on 2015/01/23 00:52:32 UTC

Pull request hygiene

Hi,

I have been merging several pull requests recently that did not adhere
to the guidelines we gave ourselves. Most notably, the following things
didn't happen:

  1. The PR was not squashed to a single commit when it was opened.
  2. The one commit didn't have a message in accordance with our
     contributor's guidelines.
  3. The PR wasn't announced on JIRA.

Given that we don't follow our own rules, I'd like to know why and what
we want to do about it?

For instance We could drop (1) and (2) in the above list, which would
just move work from the contributor to the committer. This is exactly
what happened for the aforementioned PRs.

Number 3 above seems crucial to me. If we have PRs that completely
sideline JIRA, we risk loosing community consensus along the way.

Thoughts? Comments?

Markus

Re: Pull request hygiene

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Markus,

I think we should keep the guidelines.
#3 is very important, I agree.

The procedure for contributors takes effort a bit but they get the credit
for their contribution. We should not put much work to git committers. Just
a thought.

-Gon

--
Byung-Gon Chun

RE: Pull request hygiene

Posted by "Julia Wang (QIUHE)" <Qi...@microsoft.com>.
No matter who does final squash, we don't need to create a new PR, right?

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
Yes, but I am pretty sure we'd loose much of the usable history on
GitHub's PR page if we do that.

Markus

RE: Pull request hygiene

Posted by "Julia Wang (QIUHE)" <Qi...@microsoft.com>.

Re: Pull request hygiene

Posted by John Yang <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pull request hygiene

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

RE: Pull request hygiene

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: Pull request hygiene

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: Pull request hygiene

RE: Pull request hygiene

Posted by John Yang <jo...@gmail.com>.
Great, that sounds good to me.

RE: Pull request hygiene

Posted by "Julia Wang (QIUHE)" <Qi...@microsoft.com>.

On 2015-01-22 17:57, John Yang wrote:

> Hi,

> I didn’t adhere to 1 and 2. Sorry about that.

> I also think it is a good idea to notify the contributor once the PR is good to merge, so that he/she does not forget.

> 3 should definitely be kept.

> Thanks,

> John

>> On Jan 23, 2015, at 9:51 AM, Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>> wrote:

>> The option sounds good to me.

>> ---

>> Byung-Gon Chun

>> Sent from my phone

>> 2015. 1. 23. 오전 9:04 Julia Wang (QIUHE) <Qi...@microsoft.com>> 작성:

>>> We should definitely keep 3 as it gives us a document to trace why we made the change.

>>> 1 is little bit hard. Even if we squash before making a new pull request, after receiving comments and we make some changes, would you like to keep the delta or you would like to squash them into one commit? And as we could back force a few times during the code review, or sometimes may just make very minor format change, squash each time seems quite troublesome.

>>> One option is when the code is ready to merge, the committer and inform the contributor to do onetime squash. The contributor can use this opportunity to put proper comments as it can be changed during the code review as well.

>>> Thanks,

>>> Julia

>>> Markus

Re: Pull request hygiene