Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Edwin Chiu <ed...@manage.com> on 2013/08/08 21:48:06 UTC

speeding up replay log

Hi there!

I'm using flume-ng 1.3.1 (Hortonworks latest production stable version as
of now) on centos 6 with jdk 1.6.

I'm wondering how to speed up the replay of logs after changing file
channel parameters in flume.conf -- capacity and transactionCapacity.

it takes hours for the node to catch up and able to receive and send events
again.

use-fast-replay = true with a ridiculous amount of max memory doesn't speed
things up.

Any recommendations to avoid the down time?

thanks!

Ed

Re: speeding up replay log

Posted by Hari Shreedharan <hs...@cloudera.com>.
Fast replay will start only if the checkpoint files are deleted (or don't exist). If there is a checkpoint - fast replay will not start up even if the files are corrupt/unreadable. Depending on how many events are in the channel, fast replay can also fall victim to Java's GC slowdowns. That is something to think of.

I have filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-2155 to improve certain aspects of the File Channel replay. I have some ideas though I am not entirely sure when I will get time to work on this.

Thanks,
Hari

Re: speeding up replay log

Posted by Edwin Chiu <ed...@manage.com>.