Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/08 17:26:01 UTC

[VOTE] Release Qpid Proton 0.16.0

Hi folks,

I have put together a first spin for a 0.16.0 Qpid Proton release, please
test it and vote accordingly.

The source archive can be grabbed from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.16.0-rc1/

The maven artifacts for proton-j are staged for now at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1094

The JIRAs currently assigned are:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12338399

It is tagged as 0.16.0-rc1 from the 0.16.x branch.

Regards,
Robbie

P.S. If you want to test things out using maven (e.g with your own build)
you can temporarily add this to your poms to access the staging repo:

  <repositories>
    <repository>
      <id>staging</id>
      <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1094</url>
    </repository>
  </repositories>

The dependency for proton-j would then be:

  <dependency>
    <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
    <artifactId>proton-j</artifactId>
    <version>0.16.0</version>
  </dependency>

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid Proton 0.16.0

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.
I think it's okay to proceed without the core lib in the install result.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, 2016-12-12 at 12:35 +0000, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> While looking into what might be involved to fix the install issue, I
> found that Andrew actually noticed and corrected it on Thursday,
> http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid-proton/commit/16da86eb.
> He
> didn't raise it as a reason to stop the release, which could be taken
> as him thinking it wasn't one, although he hasn't voted either way
> yet.
>
> Whilst I agree its a bit silly given it is the first release the
> 'core' bit is to be in, if it doesnt break existing stuff (with votes
> thus far suggesting it does not) then I am inclined to proceed with
> release given the fix is trivial and folks building the source can
> easily adjust it themselves should they want to use it before the
> next
> release. Does anyone strongly disagree?

I don't think it is blocking (although it is annoying) as there is
nothing currently using it. I can only suggest that we get 0.17 out
fairly quickly.

Andrew

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid Proton 0.16.0

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
+1

Deferring the new library leaves the kit good.

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
+0

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8 December 2016 at 17:26, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a first spin for a 0.16.0 Qpid Proton release, please
> test it and vote accordingly.
>
> The source archive can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.16.0-rc1/
>
> The maven artifacts for proton-j are staged for now at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1094
>
> The JIRAs currently assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12338399
>
> It is tagged as 0.16.0-rc1 from the 0.16.x branch.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie
>

> P.S. If you want to test things out using maven (e.g with your own build)
> you can temporarily add this to your poms to access the staging repo:
>
>   <repositories>
>     <repository>
>       <id>staging</id>
>       <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1094</url>
>     </repository>
>   </repositories>
>
> The dependency for proton-j would then be:
>
>   <dependency>
>     <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
>     <artifactId>proton-j</artifactId>
>     <version>0.16.0</version>
>   </dependency>

Adding my +1 explicitly.

I checked the RC out as follows:
 - Verified the sig and checksum files.
 - Checked LICENCE+NOTICE files present.
 - Ran the CMake build, tests, and install.
 - Built the Qpid CPP master and later 1.36.0 RC1 against the earlier install.
 - Built the Qpid Dispatch master branch against the earlier install.
 - Ran the JMS client HelloWorld example against the built broker and router.
 - Used the staging repo to run the Qpid JMS client master build and tests.
 - Ran the Maven build and tests.

Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid Proton 0.16.0

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
+1

* Checked signatures and checksums
* Built from source and ran tests using cmake
* Built proton-j using maven and ran the tests
* Reviewed License, Notice, and other documentation files
* Built ActiveMQ using the staged artifacts and ran the AMQP tests
* Built Qpid JMS using the staged artifacts and ran the tests.

On 12/08/2016 12:26 PM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a first spin for a 0.16.0 Qpid Proton release, please
> test it and vote accordingly.
>
> The source archive can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.16.0-rc1/
>
> The maven artifacts for proton-j are staged for now at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1094
>
> The JIRAs currently assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12338399
>
> It is tagged as 0.16.0-rc1 from the 0.16.x branch.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie
>

> P.S. If you want to test things out using maven (e.g with your own build)
> you can temporarily add this to your poms to access the staging repo:
>
>    <repositories>
>      <repository>
>        <id>staging</id>
>        <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1094</url>
>      </repository>
>    </repositories>
>
> The dependency for proton-j would then be:
>
>    <dependency>
>      <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
>      <artifactId>proton-j</artifactId>
>      <version>0.16.0</version>
>    </dependency>

Tim Bish
twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid Proton 0.16.0

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 08/12/16 17:26, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a first spin for a 0.16.0 Qpid Proton release, please
> test it and vote accordingly.

+1, built qpid-cpp against it and ran tests; ran all python examples
against qpid-cpp broker, router or each other as appropriate.

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid Proton 0.16.0

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
+1

 * tested oslo.messaging driver (unit and functional tests)
 * tested pyngus unit tests
 * tested rsyslog omamqp1 plugin

> I have put together a first spin for a 0.16.0 Qpid Proton release, please
> test it and vote accordingly.
>
> The source archive can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.16.0-rc1/
>
> The maven artifacts for proton-j are staged for now at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1094
>
> The JIRAs currently assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12338399
>
> It is tagged as 0.16.0-rc1 from the 0.16.x branch.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie
>

> P.S. If you want to test things out using maven (e.g with your own build)
> you can temporarily add this to your poms to access the staging repo:
>
>   <repositories>
>     <repository>
>       <id>staging</id>
>       <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1094</url>
>     </repository>
>   </repositories>
>
> The dependency for proton-j would then be:
>
>   <dependency>
>     <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
>     <artifactId>proton-j</artifactId>
>     <version>0.16.0</version>
>   </dependency>

-K

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid Proton 0.16.0

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
+1

Tested against Dispatch master.

-Ted

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
FYI python people:

I've posted the 0.16.0 rc1 python bindings up at testpypi for evaluation.

To install, use the pip --pre option:

pip install --pre -i https://testpypi.python.org/pypi python-qpid-proton

> I have put together a first spin for a 0.16.0 Qpid Proton release, please
> test it and vote accordingly.
>
> The source archive can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.16.0-rc1/
>
> The maven artifacts for proton-j are staged for now at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1094
>
> The JIRAs currently assigned are:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12338399
>
> It is tagged as 0.16.0-rc1 from the 0.16.x branch.
>
> Regards,
> Robbie
>

> P.S. If you want to test things out using maven (e.g with your own build)
> you can temporarily add this to your poms to access the staging repo:
>
>   <repositories>
>     <repository>
>       <id>staging</id>
>       <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1094</url>
>     </repository>
>   </repositories>
>
> The dependency for proton-j would then be:
>
>   <dependency>
>     <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
>     <artifactId>proton-j</artifactId>
>     <version>0.16.0</version>
>   </dependency>

-K

Re: [VOTE] Release Qpid Proton 0.16.0

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
+1

- All tests without Java, perl, ruby or tox.

- Freebsd 10.3 (x86_64), builds and tests fine
-- Module PROTON-198 (but that's old)
- Raspbian (latest as of today), builds and test almost fine
-- Can't test with valgrind - platform issue
-- the ssl-client-cert subtest of cpp-example-test fails
   but I don't think this is a blocking problem.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
The checksums for the release itself (the source at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.16.0-rc1/) do
contain the filename, they were generated by md5sum/sha1sum and
verified using commands of the format you suggest. For the artifacts
on Nexus, we can't control the values as you say.

Robbie

Posted by Lorenz Quack <qu...@gmail.com>.
+1