Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by messido <mo...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/18 22:36:46 UTC

Is it possible to test a connection before trying to establish connection?

I'm trying to ping a host connection every X seconds to see if the host
connection is reachable (online) or not. I was wondering if Guacamole has
any support to help me figure out:

1) If connection address and port are live and reachable
2) If login credentials passed are valid
3) the specs of the host machine (OS version, Screen res, etc?)

Thanks for your time into this great project, and loving the new updates in
1.0.0!

Re: Is it possible to test a connection before trying to establish connection?

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 7:58 PM sciUser <sh...@securitycentric.net>
wrote:

> You will need to do this as a third party program.
> We handle this by adding a table to the guacamole database called
> session_avail looking for yes or no.
> Then we have a json api look for this answer.

You can do it this way, but you don't need to.  In version 1.0.0 we
introduced decoration and the ability for the JDBC module to store
arbitrary attributes, as requested by other modules.  The TOTP module
currently uses this to store the TOTP seed in a database field associated
with each user.  You can write an extension that leverages similar
functionality for connections, connection groups, or user groups, without
having to manually edit the database.  Extensions can also implement their
own REST APIs, and version 1.0.0 of Guacamole introduces the ability to
handle exceptions in those extensions the same way the main REST API
handles it (with JSON message passing, essentially), so all of this can be
relatively easily implemented using much of the framework already provided
by Guacamole.

-Nick

Re: Is it possible to test a connection before trying to establish connection?

Posted by sciUser <sh...@securitycentric.net>.
You will need to do this as a third party program.
We handle this by adding a table to the guacamole database called
session_avail looking for yes or no.
Then we have a json api look for this answer.

So its possible yes.

Down and dirty way is to add a forward nat on debian and install
netstat-nat. Then write a script using if statement with awk sed parsing for
established connection.  Once connection is established write lock to
database.  Warning this is a conceptual and may cause unstable CPU usage if
virtual server isn't setup correctly.

Hope this helps

Thank You

Re: Is it possible to test a connection before trying to establish connection?

Posted by messido <mo...@gmail.com>.
Well i mostly only care about the first one really... I want my dashboard to
display a small "online/offline" indicator on the side informing my users
whether the connection is connectable or not (as in, if someone else is
already connected to it, ip is wrong, etc)

Re: Is it possible to test a connection before trying to establish connection?

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 5:36 PM messido <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to ping a host connection every X seconds to see if the host
> connection is reachable (online) or not. I was wondering if Guacamole has
> any support to help me figure out:
>
> 1) If connection address and port are live and reachable
> 2) If login credentials passed are valid
> 3) the specs of the host machine (OS version, Screen res, etc?)

These items are not currently implemented within the Guacamole Client
interface.  The first item should be possible to implement, either by
adding it to the current system or via an extension.  The other two really
require establishing a connection, anyway, so you'd almost have to do an
initial or periodic connection to the remote system and report back on that
- at which point wouldn't you be just as well off establishing the
connection??  Can you share your use-case of where you'd see these items as
beneficial?

> Thanks for your time into this great project, and loving the new updates in
> 1.0.0!

Thanks!

-Nick