Posted to dev@kylin.apache.org by Li Yang <li...@apache.org> on 2016/07/08 03:23:37 UTC

Re: Few Questions about Kylin Ability

Hi Santosh

Kylin support most of your requirement with following limitations/notes.

- The streaming cubing is still in experiment stage. KYLIN-1726
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KYLIN-1726#> will improve realtime
analysis significantly but it may take a few month to complete.
- Kylin does not store raw data by default. There is RAW measure
<http://kylin.apache.org/blog/2016/05/29/raw-measure-in-kylin/> that can
store raw data to some extent. But it also has volume limitation.
- The query speed will largely depend on your dimension cardinality (not
the data volume) and if the cube is well defined and optimized for your
query.
- Finally the capacity of your cluster always plays an important part.

Kylin uses micro batch to build streaming cube. A small job is kicked off
every 5 minutes for example and build cube incrementally with the input of
last 5 minutes. The job currently runs one a single node which is not very
scale-able.  KYLIN-1726 will solve this problem.

Kylin support all kinds of SQL queries as long as they are within defined
data model.

Cheers
Yang

Posted by Santoshakhilesh <sa...@huawei.com>.
Hi Yang ,
   For my case I think stability of KYLIN-1726 is important. I will study the code to see if I can do something about it.
Regards,
Santosh Akhilesh