Posted to users@maven.apache.org by hp <ad...@homepage.kgbinternet.com> on 2012/01/13 20:34:31 UTC

"Failure to find org.apache.maven.plugins"

How to resolve the following error?

Failure to find org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:pom:2.3.2 in
http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/groups/public was cached in the local
	 repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval
of nexus has elapsed or updates are forced

Re: "Failure to find org.apache.maven.plugins"

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:>>
[del]
>> removing the version tags, those error messages are gone in the window.
> The
>> 2.0.2 version are downloaded when I run "mvn verify".
>
> After removing the version tags from your pom, Maven will use plugin
> versions declared in the "super pom" instead. Those versions exist thus
> there are no error messages.

Can I recommend you read the freely available books at
http://maven.apache.org/articles.html
You will save yourself a lot of time.

Re: "Failure to find org.apache.maven.plugins"

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

>                                <version>2.3.2</version>
>                                <artifactId>maven-war-plugin</artifactId>
>                                <version>2.3.2</version>

...........                        (no version)

> Replacing the latest version 3.0.3 leads to some other error message.
After

Maven itself is version 3.0.3 but the plugins are all released on their own
and have completely different versions. You *will* get error messages if
you try to specify version 3.0.3 of the war plugin for example since it
doesn't exist yet.

> removing the version tags, those error messages are gone in the window.
The
> 2.0.2 version are downloaded when I run "mvn verify".

After removing the version tags from your pom, Maven will use plugin
versions declared in the "super pom" instead. Those versions exist thus
there are no error messages.

Wayne

Re: "Failure to find org.apache.maven.plugins"

Posted by hp <ad...@homepage.kgbinternet.com>.
I have another look at the build block of my pom file.

	<build>
		<plugins>
			<plugin>
				<version>2.3.2</version>
				<configuration>
					<source>1.6</source>
					<target>1.6</target>
				</configuration>
			</plugin>
			<plugin>
				<version>2.3.2</version>
				<configuration>
					<warName>vsm</warName>
				</configuration>
			</plugin>
			<plugin>
				<executions>
					<execution>
						<id>install</id>
						<phase>install</phase>
						<goals>
							<goal>sources</goal>
						</goals>
					</execution>
				</executions>
			</plugin>
		</plugins>
	</build>

Posted by Ansgar Konermann <an...@googlemail.com>.
Am 15.01.2012 21:04, schrieb hp:
> Thanks again.
>
> My current Nexus configuration comes from the default one. What sort of
> thing I shall look into? I get all my project dependencies with my current
> existing setting.
>
> If the maven-war-plugin should be there as a part of my project
> dependencies, where it shall be located inside of Eclipse or my Maven
> installation directory?

I have no clue regarding the Eclipse integration, haven't used it for
years (IDEA fanboy)

Maven downloads the plugins you specify in your POM or in any of the
parent POM's <pluginManagement> section automatically.  Since you are
obviously using a repository manager *and* Eclipse, please reduce the
possible causes of the misbehaviour. Try calling mvn clean verify from
the command line, using your current settins.xml, and run it against the
pom.xml of the project in question (i. e. change to the project
directory where the pom.xml file resides and issue "mvn clean verify"
command on the command line / shell).

This will remove any problems which might be caused by Eclipse and
leaves you with a much clearer error semantics.

If you still get the same error message, search for the maven-war-plugin
in your Nexus: log into the web UI of Nexus and use the advanced search
function ("GAV search") and search for artifactId "maven-war-plugin". It
should be available from some of the repositories configured as proxy,
e. g. Maven Central. Make sure that at least one of the repositories
which contain maven-war-plugin is in the repository group you reference
from your settings.xml

Best regards

Ansgar

Re: "Failure to find org.apache.maven.plugins"

Posted by Ansgar Konermann <an...@googlemail.com>.
Am 15.01.2012 01:36 schrieb "hp" <ad...@homepage.kgbinternet.com>:

> Thanks Ansgar.
>
> I have a look at my local Maven repository directory

You should have looked into your Nexus' configuration. That's why maven
told you (!) it can't find the plugin in "nexus" - it's the name of the
mirror in your settings.xml

> and can't find anything
> with the name. It is not a dependency for my project.

You don't happen to pursue building a WAR, do you? If so, then the
maven-war-plugin *is* a dependency of your project (even if it's not listed
in the dependencies section of your pom). After all, maven needs to know
*how* a WAR is to be built. The war plugin contains this knowledge in a
fashion that is usable by maven.

HTH

Ansgar

Posted by hp <ad...@homepage.kgbinternet.com>.
Thanks Ansgar.

I have a look at my local Maven repository directory and can't find anything
with the name. It is not a dependency for my project. Since I didn't have

Posted by Ansgar Konermann <an...@googlemail.com>.
Am 13.01.2012 20:34, schrieb hp:
> How to resolve the following error?
>
> Failure to find org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:pom:2.3.2 in
> http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/groups/public was cached in the local
> 	 repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval
> of nexus has elapsed or updates are forced
Check whether the repo(s) you configured do contain the maven-war-plugin.

If not, add repositories that do.

If they do already, "force updates" (see mvn -h for details)

Kind regards

Ansgar