Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ravi Gidwani <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/31 10:07:58 UTC

Boost but not filter

Hello:
          I have a basic question:

I am using dismax, Solr 1.4. Let's say I have query where q=sometext
and it returns me 50 results.but let's say now I want to rank all
those (say 10) documents higher where field:abc.
Note I just want rank them higher based on the field value and not
limit the results to these 10 documents.

1) I have tried using bq (something like q=sometext&bq=field:abc ^
100 ) but this filters/limits the results giving me only those 10
documents.

2) using qf does not help as I can't boost fields based on field value
I.e abc

Appreciate any help, comments.

TIA
~Ravi

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Boost but not filter

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
I'm not seeing this effect with the example setup:

    http://localhost:8983/solr/select?defType=dismax&qf=name&q=ipod&debugQuery=true&bq=inStock:true

What do you get as the parsedquery when using debugQuery=true?
What's your full request to Solr?

There is some odd logic in the dismax parser with bq, though - where
if the bq parses to a BooleanQuery with a 1.0 boost then it could
filter instead of boost.

	Erik