Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by mimodene <mi...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/01 11:02:54 UTC

Send timeouts per producer, not per Connection. Possible ?

Hi
I have an application with different Messageproducers  which all send JMS
messages to the same Broker. I am using failover protocol. I use different
producers from different Sessions from different Connections. I need a
timeout function so the "sends" don't hang. This i set in the URI timeout
option for the different connections.
As i need DIFFERENT timeouts for different Producers, so I thought easy, I
setup different connections the differen Sessions and so i get different
Producers.
My problem is that as soon as i stop the Broker all sends from my
application get a timeout, but the timeout is always the one i set on the
FIRST connection i started. This kind of defeats the purpose of having
different timeouts. My question are now, is this a known bug / feature i do
not understand ? How can i achive different timeouts for different producers
? Is there an option to specify the timeout not as part if the URI on the
connection but on the messageptoducer / and-or per send call ?

I am using activem1 5.6, ready to upgrade to 5.7 / 5.8 if needed.

Thank you for any input.

mike

Re: Send timeouts per producer, not per Connection. Possible ?

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
ActiveMQMessageProducer#setSendTimeout()

http://activemq.apache.org/maven/apidocs/org/apache/activemq/ActiveMQMessageProducerSupport.html#setSendTimeout(int)

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 5:02 AM, mimodene <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I have an application with different Messageproducers  which all send JMS
> messages to the same Broker. I am using failover protocol. I use different
> producers from different Sessions from different Connections. I need a
> timeout function so the "sends" don't hang. This i set in the URI timeout
> option for the different connections.
> As i need DIFFERENT timeouts for different Producers, so I thought easy, I
> setup different connections the differen Sessions and so i get different
> Producers.
> My problem is that as soon as i stop the Broker all sends from my
> application get a timeout, but the timeout is always the one i set on the
> FIRST connection i started. This kind of defeats the purpose of having
> different timeouts. My question are now, is this a known bug / feature i do
> not understand ? How can i achive different timeouts for different
> producers
> ? Is there an option to specify the timeout not as part if the URI on the
> connection but on the messageptoducer / and-or per send call ?
>
> I am using activem1 5.6, ready to upgrade to 5.7 / 5.8 if needed.
>
> Thank you for any input.
>
> mike

*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog