Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Joaco <fi...@adinet.com.uy> on 2005/02/04 16:37:35 UTC

Client Certificates in Axis

Hi
I need Client Certificate, to authentic a Client.
 I know how to set up a certificate in Server side to authentic a Server
, but I don´t know how to use a client certificate to authentic Client.
It is possible in axis ?
There are an other options to authentic a Client but not whit password ?
Someone can help me pls?

Thanks
Joaquin

RE: Client Certificates in Axis

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@tiscali.fr>.
Nice !
What if i want to choose the certificate (alias) in the client application
before calling the web service ?
On the server side, also using Axis, with a POJO implementation, how can i
retrieve the client identity ?

Thanks for more help !

>>> System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.keyStoreType", "pkcs12");

Posted by Christopher Johnson <jo...@clarkson.edu>.

Posted by Joaco <fi...@adinet.com.uy>.
Thanks for your fast answer kees van Dieren  !!!!!

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@tiscali.fr>.
On the server side, using the standard J2EE authentication scheme, you just
set up a trust certificate store, with the accepted client certificates, and
configure your web application to use it for authentication. I did it with
Tomcat (alone) or Tomcat+Jonas without any problem for simple web
applications, not for web services. In a plain web service server
implementation, i don't know how you can retrieve the client subject. I had
always plan to use EJB endpoint web services to let the application server
forward me the user's identity by the EJB context, using HTTP or certificate
authentication scheme.

I don't know how do it on the client side, since you must first activate SSL
client authentication (changing the socket factory to use SSL and providing
a defined certificate), and tell the web service client to use this
transport. I suppose you should look first for help about simple SSL web
service client, and then extend the solution to activate mutual
authentication and provide the client certifcate. I'll also be waitaing for
an idea for such a solution.