Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Tarun Kumar <ta...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/05 22:55:35 UTC

Why is there no flatten method on RDD?

Hi,

Although a flatMap would yield me the results which I look from map
followed by flatten, but just out of curiosity, Why there is no flatten
method provided on RDD.

Would it make sense to submit a PR adding flatten on RDD?

Thanks
Tarun

Re: Why is there no flatten method on RDD?

Posted by Bryan Cutler <cu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tarun,

I think there just hasn't been a strong need for it when you can accomplish
the same with just rdd.flatMap(identity).  I see a JIRA was just opened for
this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18855