Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl> on 2015/05/04 14:30:48 UTC

Re: Running 5.1.0 test-suite via maven

>    [junit4] ERROR   3.81s J2 | TestDirectoryTaxonomyWriter.testConcurrency
> <<<
>    [junit4]    > Throwable #1: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.keySet()Ljava/util/concurrent/ConcurrentHashMap$KeySetView;

Sorry about the delay. This indicates your code was compiled with
JDK1.8 but is executed with Java < 1.8. This method's signature used
to be an interface, but is a covariant pointing at a specialized
subclass in 1.8.

You need to compile the code with the version of Java you intend to
run with. Things will in general work if you compile with an older
version and try to run with a newer version but not the other way
around.

You can cross-compile with javac from a newer version of the JDK to an
older version but you'd have to specify bootclasspath to the older
version anyway (bytecode/source flag in javac is not enough) so
there's really no sensible reason to do it in the first place.

Dawid

Re: Running 5.1.0 test-suite via maven

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
Great, thanks Kaare!

Dawid

P.S. Indeed, running tests as root is not a good idea... :D

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Kåre Brandborg <ka...@liace.dk> wrote:
> After further debugging into this failing test and issue we discovered that the reason why this tests failed in our build environment was due to our build runner running with elevated privileges (as root).
>
> The test assert that a folder is not available and it does that by changing the permissions of the folder to write/execute only for a regular user/group (removing the read flag).
>
> The root user was still able to access the folder and that’s why the test failed.
>
> We have updated our build runner to run as a regular user now - and the tests seem to progress without any errors so far.
>
> (Since this is opensource I guess other people could use our findings).
>
> Thanks
>
> Kaare Brandborg
>

>> On 05 May 2015, at 12:11, Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl> wrote:
>>
>> The assertion alone isn't helpful. Solr tests dump tons of logs along
>> the way, if you can copy these to a text file and then create a jira
>> issue (reference it here) then perhaps somebody can look into the
>> cause of the problem (or you can do it -- it's open source after all
>> :).
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa
>>
>> Dawid
>>
>> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Kåre Brandborg <ka...@liace.dk> wrote:
>>> I’m a colleague of Per from who I’ve taken over the task to try to get our test environment to build Solr 5.1 and compile and run a test suite with green lights.
>>>
>>> I’ll try to elaborate a little more about our progress.
>>>
>>> We are currently using Teamcity CI and we are running our tests on an Ubuntu 12.04 x64 with jdk7u76 (x64) and ant 1.9.4.
>>>
>>> We have made a single change to the: ./lucene/ivy-settings.xml file (to point it to use our internal repository to resolve artifacts.
>>>
>>> I’ve observed that the following test is failing for us on every run (Have made 5 runs so far on the configuration above):
>>>
>>> 2> 1490839 T6144 oasc.CachingDirectoryFactory.close Closing directory: /opt/buildagent/work/6906da56abce9b00/solr/build/solr-core/test/J1/temp/solr.core.TestCoreDiscovery 93911594584047D7-001/tempDir-001/core2/core2/index
>>> 2> 1490840 T6144 oas.SolrTestCaseJ4.tearDown ###Ending testCoreDirCantRead

Posted by Kåre Brandborg <ka...@liace.dk>.

Posted by Per Steffensen <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 05/05/15 15:05, Dawid Weiss wrote:
> I'm part of Apache Lucene and I try to make every release meet quality
> standards, but Solr tests are quite complex and have had a long
> history of being very difficult to fix. If you search mailing list
> archives you'll see at least a few attempts and continuous efforts
> from various people aiming at stabilizing these test.
Yes, I know too well

> This said, if you're asking whether there was a "green" light before the release
> then yes
Yes, that was what would expect, and therefor kept thinking that it must
be something with out build-environment. And therefore likely no need
for a JIRA
>   -- anybody who votes for the release to proceed ran the
> smoketester and this in turn runs all the tests. But machines and
> environments vary. I don't know anybody who'd run development runs as
> root, for example (which you apparently did).
Yes, that is clearly a mistake

> The problems you initially experienced were your environment setup
> problems (different compile JDK compared to runtime JDK), they don't
> have much to do with Solr tests too.
Exactly

> Dawid
Regards, Per Steffensen

Re: Running 5.1.0 test-suite via maven

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
I'm part of Apache Lucene and I try to make every release meet quality
standards, but Solr tests are quite complex and have had a long
history of being very difficult to fix. If you search mailing list
archives you'll see at least a few attempts and continuous efforts
from various people aiming at stabilizing these test.

This said, if you're asking whether there was a "green" light before the release
then yes -- anybody who votes for the release to proceed ran the

Posted by Per Steffensen <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 - I'd file JIRAs.

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.