Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Pritesh saharey <pr...@sqatester.com> on 2004/01/29 07:47:47 UTC

BUILD ENGINEER

Hello,
       I would like to know What is the role of build engineer in a organisation, is there any full time Build engineer or just developer themselves write their build files and the work goes on.
As i hardly see any job requriment for BUILD ENGINEERS, thats why i am bit confused.
Can anybody clear my doubt, i will be thankful to him/her.

wishes

Pritesh Saharey
BE(Mech)
Software Engineer
Apsora(Ind.)Pvt. Ltd., Pune
http://www.apsora.com
http://in.geocities.com/priteshsaharey/

Re: BUILD ENGINEER

Posted by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com>.
Pritesh saharey wrote:

> Hello,
>        I would like to know What is the role of build engineer in a organisation, is there any full time Build engineer or just developer themselves write their build files and the work goes on.
> As i hardly see any job requriment for BUILD ENGINEERS, thats why i am bit confused.

As projects get larger, it is sometimes useful to have one individual in charge of

   * reconciling all build issues
   * writing the master build file and correcting the individual build files
   * automating and maintaing the daily build
   * evaluating and distributing information about the results of the daily build

It is possible that the style of organizing labor which is employed in the occidental world
is not applicable to eastern organizations: we tend to task a specific individual every time
we identify a production nexus. Each individual may "wear many hats", that is,
take on many specific roles in the production process.

In a more collective and labor-intensive society, it is possible that collaborative "huddles"
over such issues are more practical than assigning responsibility to one person, an individual
who then might draw fire down upon himself and be seen as attempting to be a chief or obstruction
in the the middle of the development process.

--
Jack J. Woehr      # We have gone from the horse and buggy
Senior Consultant  # to the moon rocket in one lifetime, but

Re: BUILD ENGINEER

Posted by Ashutosh Sharma <as...@oracle.com>.
Hi Pritesh ,
Generally this post is also called Release engineer. Generally these
prople are responsible for the release/builds on daily/weekly basis and
prepares reports and tell the culprits.
Teh schedule of the build process all depends on kind of work(enahnace,
maintenance, development) and also on the deliverables. Tehy have to
take care of version controlling also apart from writing unix shell scripts.
If the team is big-more than 50 developers-they generally prefer to have
a seperate individual who will take care of these issues. If the size is
less than 50-one of the developers might be doing it. Moreover having a
seperate build/release engineer in advantageous in case the development
teams are continents apart.
Anyway do research from the employer abt this designation.

Pritesh saharey wrote:

>Hello,
>       I would like to know What is the role of build engineer in a organisation, is there any full time Build engineer or just developer themselves write their build files and the work goes on.
>As i hardly see any job requriment for BUILD ENGINEERS, thats why i am bit confused.
>Can anybody clear my doubt, i will be thankful to him/her.
>
>wishes
>

>Pritesh Saharey
>BE(Mech)
>Software Engineer