Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@hotwired.com> on 1996/01/22 21:56:04 UTC

Re: cvs commit: CVSROOT modules (fwd)

Here's how I've learned to install cvs after doing it a half dozen
times:

- build and install gnu diffutils 2.7 (or later if there is a later yet)
- build and install gnu patch-2.1 (unless your system already has it)

    -- these can be installed somewhere like /usr/local/gnu if you don't
    care to have them in your default path

- get GNU rcs 5.6 or 5.7, when you configure them ensure they are using
    the diffutils and patch installed in the previous steps... again you
    can install these in /usr/local/gnu if you've got vendor versions
    you're worried about keeping

- get CVS 1.6, configure it to use the diffutils, patch, and rcs you just
    installed

I *think* it's as easy as putting /usr/local/gnu/bin first in your path
while running configure for rcs and cvs.  But you will probably want to
check, and/or hardcode paths.  I'd suggest hardcoding the paths since
there are frequently vendor copies of all these things lying around,
and they don't behave well (in general) with cvs.  Unless you're under
something like BSDI, freeBSD or linux.

All those programs are available from all GNU mirrors (try
ftp.gnu.ai.mit.edu).

Dean