Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Uwe Brauer <ou...@mat.ucm.es> on 2013/10/20 21:54:16 UTC

how to rotate a table

Hi

I googled a bit but found no solution to the problem
of rotating a table such that

| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 4 | 3 | 4 |
becomes
| 4 | 1 |
| 3 | 2 |
| 4 | 3 |

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

Re: how to rotate a table

Posted by John Meyer <jo...@pueblocomputing.com>.

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Calc:_TRANSPOSE_function

Re: how to rotate a table

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 21:54 20/10/2013 +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>I googled a bit but found no solution to the problem of rotating a
>table such that
>
>| 1 | 2 | 3 |
>| 4 | 3 | 4 |
>becomes
>| 4 | 1 |
>| 3 | 2 |
>| 4 | 3 |

Do you mean a table in a text (Writer) document?

o Copy the table.
o Paste into a spreadsheet (Calc) document, but using Paste
Special... | Formatted text [RTF].
o Copy the table in the spreadsheet.
o Paste elsewhere in the spreadsheet, but using Paste Special... |
Options | Transpose.  (This is the trick, of course.)
o Cut and paste the first column of your transposed table to the
right of your second.
o Copy the new table and paste back into your text document, but
using Paste Special... | Formatted text [RTF].

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

on rotating tables

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 19:54:16 -0000, Uwe Brauer <ou...@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> I googled a bit but found no solution to the problem
> of rotating a table such that
>
> | 1 | 2 | 3 |
> | 4 | 3 | 4 |
> becomes
> | 4 | 1 |
> | 3 | 2 |
> | 4 | 3 |

first, invert the range vertically, e.g. by adding the column with consecutive numbers to the right of it and then sorting the range in descending order with respect to the added column  ('data/sort/sort criteria', set 'sort by' to the added column).

second, copy the inverted range, perform 'edit/past special' and tick the 'transpose' option in the dialogue window that will appear.

or you can use a formula like this: rotated_sheet.a1=indirect(address(column(a1);2-row(a1);;;"initial_sheet") -- and then copy the resulting range and paste-special it leaving only 'numbers' ticked under 'selection'.

Re: rotating tables in calc

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 19:54:16 -0000, Uwe Brauer <ou...@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> I googled a bit but found no solution to the problem
> of rotating a table such that
>
> | 1 | 2 | 3 |
> | 4 | 3 | 4 |
> becomes
> | 4 | 1 |
> | 3 | 2 |
> | 4 | 3 |

first, invert the range vertically, e.g. by adding the column with consecutive numbers to the right of it and then sorting the range in descending order with respect to the added column  ('data/sort/sort criteria', set 'sort by' to the added column).

second, copy the inverted range, perform 'edit/past special' and tick the 'transpose' option in the dialogue window that will appear.

or you can use a formula like this: rotated_sheet.a1=indirect(address(column(a1);2-row(a1);;;"initial_sheet") -- and then copy the resulting range and paste-special it leaving only 'numbers' ticked under 'selection'.

p.s. sorry, my post provider's evil antispam engine rejects the original subject.

Re: how to rotate a table

Posted by Uwe Brauer <ou...@mat.ucm.es>.
>> "Brian" == Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com> writes:

   > At 21:54 20/10/2013 +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   > Do you mean a table in a text (Writer) document?
Yes!

   > o Copy the table.
   > o Paste into a spreadsheet (Calc) document, but using Paste
   > Special... | Formatted text [RTF].
   > o Copy the table in the spreadsheet.
   > o Paste elsewhere in the spreadsheet, but using Paste Special... |
   > Options | Transpose.  (This is the trick, of course.)
   > o Cut and paste the first column of your transposed table to the
   >   right of your second.
   > o Copy the new table and paste back into your text document, but using
   > Paste Special... | Formatted text [RTF].

Ok, so it has to be done by *calc* I hoped there was some sort of macro
within writer, but seems not to be the case.

thanks

Uwe