Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Nidhi Tuli <nt...@paymentone.com> on 2006/05/15 22:10:43 UTC

Formula trouble -- URGENT Pls help

I am generating an excel sheet for reporting purposes. In this Excel
some of the cells will contain formulas and their value should depend on
the formulas.
I successfully generated cells with formula and their values were
correct when I opened excel for viewing.  My trouble starts here. When I
open excel sheet it shows me correct values but when I try to close it ,
Excel prompts me to save the file. This is not acceptable according to
our requirements. So is there a way to get ride of this message and
still keep the formulas in my excel sheet cells?

Looking at this problem I am trying different approaches. I tried

HSSFFormulaEvaluator evaluator = new HSSFFormulaEvaluator(sheet, wb);
evaluator.setCurrentRow(row);
evaluator.evaluateInCell(cell)

thinking that it will evaluate the value of the formula before opening
and the file won't be dirty when it is open.
The above code started giving me RuntimeException. So I had to introduce
some changes

HSSFFormulaEvaluator evaluator = new HSSFFormulaEvaluator(sheet, wb);
evaluator.setCurrentRow(row);
cell.setCellType(HSSFCell.CELL_TYPE_NUMERIC);
evaluator.evaluateInCell(cell)

But this change will overwrite the formula and my cells only are numeric
static cells.

Is there a way to get ride of "save" message and still keep the formulas
in my excel sheet cells?

Any pointer or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nidhi

RE: HSSF has not 'HSSFRowllStyle' to set row style?How to set row sytle?thanks

Posted by Birendar Waldiya <bw...@cisco.com>.
Hi Gurus ,

Can any one give me some pointer , that how POI decides a particular field
is a date field or
A number ??/

Because I am facing a problem of following
 While reading a excel file
I have a column in which I give date - initialy it reads as date no issues
now I try to change the date format to some say from  say dd-mon-yyyy to
other format dd/mm/yyyy & save it , now this never reads this date as date
but number
Unless I delete the column and re- enter the date

Needed pointers  urgently .
Thanks
Regrads
Birendar S Waldiya

HSSF has not 'HSSFRowllStyle' to set row style?How to set row sytle?thanks

Posted by LiuGuoMing <gm...@sytdc.com>.
Hi,all

HSSFCellStyle style=wb.createCellStyle();

HSSF has not 'HSSFRowllStyle' to set row style?How to set row sytle?thanks

RE: 'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space'

Posted by Su...@external.mckinsey.com.
Liu,
        It would be good to know what your JVM memory settings are
currently. Xmin and XMax settings can be tweaked to increase the memory
available.. try changing that to at least 512MB Max if it is less..
I had the same problem.. only that I was creating excelfiles a bit more
bulkier than yours... I did two things to resolve it.. a. increase the JVM
memory and b. redesign it to reduce the data in excelfiles.

Regards,
Sumit

"Birendar Waldiya" <bw...@cisco.com>
05/16/2006 12:13 AM
Please respond to
"POI Users List" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>

"'POI Users List'" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: 'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space'

I think this is the problem with POI , ie the large memory maps are beeing
created by POI api
I think you need to limit the size of your documnt .

Posted by Birendar Waldiya <bw...@cisco.com>.

'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space'

Re: Formula trouble -- URGENT Pls help

Posted by Shinya Koizumi <sh...@smartestdesign.com>.
I am not familiar with POI, but can explicitly set the
saved flag to true before closing the document?

The Micorosft Office object gives me an option to change the status of
current
document/sheet. However, I am not sure if this is opened to poi.

I think MS Excel is looking at this flag to see if any modification occurs
for the current sheet and pops up the save dialog.

Hope it helps.

Shinya

[...]

RE: Launch Excel and load memory resident HSSFWorkbook

Posted by Su...@external.mckinsey.com.
ok, that a bit tricky thing !

but once your excel is created, you can still open it by using
Runtime.getRunTime().exec() method.... however, you will have to store the
file first on the users local machine (which you said is not elegant
because of cleanup issues).

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html

I am assuming that in the exec method if you just pass "excel <file
path>", it should equally apply to all versions of Ms-Excel... but that's
just a guess work, you might want to test it first..

"Andrew Shumway" <An...@issinc.com>
05/15/2006 05:36 PM
Please respond to
"POI Users List" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>

"'POI Users List'" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Launch Excel and load memory resident HSSFWorkbook

Steaming the HSSFWorkbook out to the web client after changing the mime
type
works for servlet type applications.

It's the Swing client that I'm having difficulty with.  Sorry for not
mentioning that in the original post.

--andrew shumway

{