Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by Jim Babka <ba...@us.ibm.com> on 2010/11/10 01:00:00 UTC

Cactus tutorial needs updating

The Cactus tutorial needs to be updated. It talks about Tomcat 4 (which
you can't even get anymore). The real issue, though, is it says this:

----------------------------
Copy the following jars to [tomcat-root]/common/lib:
cactus.jar
commons-httpclient.jar
commons-logging.jar
junit.jar
aspectjrt.jar
----------------------------

First, there is no common/lib directory in Tomcat 6, and second, those
JARs do not exist in the Cactus 1.8.1 distribution. Here are the JARs that
are there now:

aspectjrt-1.5.3.jar
cactus.core.framework.uberjar.javaEE.14-1.8.1.jar
cactus.integration.ant-1.8.1.jar
cactus.integration.shared.api-1.8.1.jar
cargo-ant-1.0-beta-2.jar
cargo-core-container-jonas-1.0-beta-2.jar
cargo-core-uberjar-1.0-beta-2.jar
commons-discovery-0.4.jar
commons-httpclient-3.1.jar
commons-logging-1.1.jar
geronimo-ejb_2.1_spec-1.1.jar
geronimo-j2ee-management_1.0_spec-1.1.jar
httpunit-1.6.jar
jasper-compiler-5.5.9.jar
jasper-runtime-5.5.9.jar
junit-3.8.2.jar
mx4j-3.0.2.jar
mx4j-remote-3.0.2.jar
nekohtml-1.9.6.jar
org.mortbay.jetty-5.1.9.jar
servlet-api-2.4.jar

I can guess the right JARs to use for everything but "cactus.jar". Can
someone please explain what JARs are needed for Cactus now, and where they
should go?

Jim Babka
Senior S/W Engineer and Team Lead, Context Aware Dynamic Selection
(512)286-5195, tie line 363-5195
babka at us.ibm.com

RE: Cactus tutorial needs updating

Posted by Jim Babka <ba...@us.ibm.com>.
Well, the tutorial classes are not in a separate package. They are in the
default package, so there is no package name to specify. Does Tomcat or
Cactus have a problem with the default package?

babka@us.ibm.com

From:   <ch...@thomsonreuters.com>
To:     <ca...@jakarta.apache.org>
Date:   11/10/2010 03:23 PM
Subject:        RE: Cactus tutorial needs updating

I had the same problem.  You need to include the package name of the class
in the url.

http://localhost:8080/test/ServletTestRunner?suite=com.company.TestSampleServlet

--Chris
From:   "Bennett, Jeffrey" <JJ...@OneCommunications.com>
To:     "Cactus Users List" <ca...@jakarta.apache.org>
Date:   11/10/2010 08:18 AM

Jim-

Can't speak officially, but I use Cactus 1.8.1 with Tomcat 5.5.30 (which
does still have the common/lib structure).  I don't think you need any
of those jars in Tomcat itself, although you probably need to place them
in the cactified-war.  In the setup I use, I only see aspectjrt (but we
do some AspectJ stuff) and commons-logging (necessary, as we want Tomcat
to use Log4J for its own logs) from the list you provided.  However,
commons-discovery, commons-httpclient, cargo, cactus, jasper and junit
are in most of the cactified wars we operate on.

Good Luck-
-Jeff

P.S. Anyone successful at taking Cactus to Tomcat 7 yet?  Pretty sure
it's impossible due to cactus's use of Cargo 1.0B2 (short of recompiling
Cactus), but just curious.

(512)286-5195, tie line 363-5195 babka at us.ibm.com

This email was sent to you by Thomson Reuters, the global news and
information company.
Thomson Reuters.

RE: Cactus tutorial needs updating

Posted by ch...@thomsonreuters.com.