Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/12/26 18:58:27 UTC

Clearing the air regarding Avalon utilities and Commons

I would like some more information and clarification on the Jakarta Commons
charter and practicalities of placing code there.  Avalon Excalibur's code
is fairly integrated, and is a testimony to how well the API works.  However,
because it is easier to use the concurrent package synchronization primitives
rather than using the "synchronized" keyword all the time, I have used them
to implement thread-safe pools, among other things.

As far as I can tell there are separate packages for pooling, synchronization
primitives, and other utilities.  My understanding regarding the charter is
that you don't want cross library dependancies in Commons.  Were I to advocate
moving the utilities in Avalon Excalibur to Jakarta Commons, how would that
work itself out?

For instance, the new Pool implementations that I am writing are based on the
new Buffer classes and use the synchronization primitives.

I am posting to both lists to get the widest possible answer.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: curious latka doco bug...

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to fix that.  OK, fixed.