Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Lawrence Fry <lw...@bbnow.net> on 2000/07/23 04:32:50 UTC

binary for 1.1.2 includes dom 1, see Document.importNode()

Dear group,

I have seen many posts here about the no such method error on
Document.importNode(...). Upon examining the binary distribution
Xerces-J-bin-1.1.2.zip (June 23, 2000), the included xerxes.jar includes DOM
1 versions of interfaces for org.w3c.dom.Document, although the Xerxes
implementation is properly DOM 2, and includes the importNode() method.

If you are working off a make of the src files...no problem, because the
source is properly DOM 2. This may explain why some people experienced the
problem (since some of us work off of binary file, and others the make
file).

To solve this problem, you must remake the source, or wait for the next
round of binary files. Of course, others may have solved the problem by
having another, but proper, DOM 2 interface files in front of the erroneous
xerxes dom interface binaries.

Regards,

Lawrence Fry

RE: binary for 1.1.2 includes dom 1, see Document.importNode()

Posted by Lawrence Fry <lw...@bbnow.net>.
Dear Group,

Hate to solve my own problem, but this is a problem with the forte4j ide. In
Forte4j ide the file xml.jar in their bin/ext directory. This file has dom
1. Unless this file is excluded (still working on that one), any compilation
in the ide, whether internal compiler or a external jdk, will pick up the
dom 1 reference first.

For some reason, the interactive parsing and introspection of classes in
Forte4j also picks up the bin/ext/xml.jar before xerces.jar. For this
reason, I had believed that the binary distribution of 1.1.2 xerces to have
included DOM 1 and not DOM 2 (I mean if you can't trust an ide's
introspection, what can you trust!).

I just verified that document.getElementById(),a DOM 2 method, works from a
command line compilation in the sample problem DOMCount. So it looks like
Xerces comes out with a clean bill of health. My apologies.

Regards,

Lawrence Fry