Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mujahid Ali <ma...@leftbrain.com> on 2006/03/14 19:10:13 UTC

Struts-el and Weblogic 9.1

Hey Guys,

I am using some tags from the struts-el package and they used to work
fine under weblogic 8.1; After switching over to weblogic 9.1, it seems
that the BeanInfo class for a given tan is never called, so the jstl
expression ${...} is never evaluated. Has anyone seen similar problems?
Are there any workarounds? I am using struts-el jar from the struts
1.2.8 release.

Thanks,

Mujahid

Re: Struts-el and Weblogic 9.1

Posted by Mujahid Ali <ma...@leftbrain.com>.
Weblogic has an option where you can force it load classes from the
WEB-INF directory. I did that to eliminate any potential class loading
conflicts...
Still the same issue. I found a known issue
http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs91/issues/known_resolved.html#1056681
[CR210907] :

    Netui databinding expression language fails when BeanInfo overrides
    JavaBean property names.

    Evaluation of expressions in the Netui databinding expression
    language throws errors when BeanInfo netui databinding EL does not
    to work when java.beans.BeanInfo is used to override JavaBean
    property names.

    *Workaround or Solution*:

    Do not override JavaBean property names using BeanInfo if you use a
    JavaBean in Netui databinding. If you must databind to such a bean,
    wrap the bean in a UI version of the bean that follows the JavaBean
    property naming convention.

Struts-el is essentially doing the same thing with mapping the property
names using BeanInfo for each tag class.

This is just a guess, at this point I am running out of idea...

Servlet 2.4 is an option, just have a very large application that we
will have to figure out how to port over...

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions.

Mujahid

Re: Struts-el and Weblogic 9.1

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts-el and Weblogic 9.1

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
> On 3/14/06, Mujahid Ali <ma...@leftbrain.com> wrote:
>
> > 9.1 used 2.4 and it is supposed to be backwards compatible. Just to make
> > things simple, I tried deploying the strutsel-exercise-taglib.war that
> > comes with the struts 1.2.8 release.
> >
> > The tags don't work without any modifications to the war.
>
> My guess is that Weblogic is providing a JSTL 1.1 implementation, and
> there is some conflict with the Servlet 2.3/JSTL 1.0 apps you are
> trying to run.
>
> > If I modify the web.xml in the war to be 2.4 compatible, it still doesn't work.
>
> If you want to use Servlet 2.4, then you don't need Struts EL -- the
> container will evaluate the expressions before passing the values to
> the taglib.
>
>  * http://wiki.wsmoak.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?StrutsAndJSTL

Slightly offtopic but still relevant: what is meant by "container
provides support for JSTL 1.1"? Because Tomcat 5 supports SRV 2.4, but
does not have jstl.jar and standard.jar in shared or endorsed
directory. At least 5.5.16 distro does not have them, but example WARs
bundled the this distro have these libraries in their respective
WEB-INF/lib directories.

Michael J.

Re: Struts-el and Weblogic 9.1

Posted by Mujahid Ali <ma...@leftbrain.com>.
When you say Weblogic is provdinig JSTL 1.1 version, you are reffering
to standard.jar ?

I don't have anything deployed except the example war. So I am not sure
about the conflicts.

Thanks,

Mujahid

Re: Struts-el and Weblogic 9.1

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts-el and Weblogic 9.1

Posted by Mujahid Ali <ma...@leftbrain.com>.
9.1 used 2.4 and it is supposed to be backwards compatible. Just to make
things simple, I tried deploying the strutsel-exercise-taglib.war that
comes with the struts 1.2.8 release.

The tags don't work without any modifications to the war. If I modify
the web.xml in the war to be 2.4 compatible, it still doesn't work.

Here is the web.xml as modified to reflect 2.4 changes:

<web-app xmlns:j2ee="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"

  <display-name>Struts-EL Taglib Exerciser</display-name>

  <!-- Action Servlet Configuration -->
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>application</param-name>

<param-value>org.apache.struts.webapp.exercise.ApplicationResources</param-value>

    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>config</param-name>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>debug</param-name>
      <param-value>2</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>detail</param-name>
      <param-value>2</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

  <!-- Action Servlet Mapping -->
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

  <!-- The Welcome File List -->
  <welcome-file-list>
    <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
    <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
  </welcome-file-list>

</web-app>

When I execute the bean-size example, I get this error:

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: No valid collection specified for size tag
	at org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.SizeTag.doStartTag(SizeTag.java:165)
	at org.apache.strutsel.taglib.bean.ELSizeTag.doStartTag(ELSizeTag.java:137)
	at jsp_servlet.__bean_45_size._jspService(__bean_45_size.java:153)
	at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service(JspBase.java:34)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.StubSecurityHelper$ServletServiceAction.run(StubSecurityHelper.java:225)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.StubSecurityHelper.invokeServlet(StubSecurityHelper.java:127)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.execute(ServletStubImpl.java:272)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.execute(ServletStubImpl.java:165)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationAction.run(WebAppServletContext.java:3153)
	at weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(AuthenticatedSubject.java:321)
	at weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(SecurityManager.java:121)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.securedExecute(WebAppServletContext.java:1973)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.execute(WebAppServletContext.java:1880)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.run(ServletRequestImpl.java:1310)
	at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:207)
	at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:179)

If you need any more info, please let me know. I really want to find a
way to resolve this...

Thanks,

Mujahid

Re: Struts-el and Weblogic 9.1

Posted by kalpesh modi <mo...@yahoo.com>.
Weblogic 8.1 support servlet 2.3 and 9.1 should support servlet 2.4

Thanks,
-Kalpesh

Yahoo! Mail

Re: Struts-el and Weblogic 9.1