Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Evan Rusackas <ev...@preset.io.INVALID> on 2023/03/08 18:24:45 UTC

Breaking change window for 3.0 development

Hi all,

Superset 3.0 has been a long time coming, and part of the discussion has been around how to organize related development activities. The Release Strategy group (context on working groups here [1]) has come up with an process that seems like it ought to work with minimal friction, so this email serves to kick off the initial steps.

We are seeking lazy consensus on the following plan of action:

Breaking change window: We will open the `master` branch to the merging of PRs which constitute breaking changes, starting March 15th. This window will close on April 15th, unless shortened or extended by additional lazy consensus. After this window, the repo will go back to normal semver standards [2] (i.e. breaking changes not allowed).

Adding/tracking change proposals: Numerous changes (breaking or otherwise) have been proposed on a Github Discussion [3] and copied over to the 3.0 Project Board [4]. Additional changes may be added to the board by committers/PMC members over time, and others may continue to propose them on the discussion thread.

Approving change proposals: The process for approving changes will also follow the lazy consensus approach. I (and/or other PMC members) will send one or more email threads with a list of changes, with each list item subject to lazy consensus. Then these items may be ratified or denied individually. Their progress in the consensus process process will be tracked on the project board.

Please note that approval of a change does not guarantee that the change will be included in the release. Any approved change which is not merged within the breaking change window (or any non-breaking change not included prior to the release cut) will remain “ratified” and carried forward for possible inclusion in the next major release.

The first wave of change proposals will be sent to this list for consideration upon reaching consensus on the above approach (i.e. in three days, if all goes well here).

We will be discusing further details of this (by then in-flight) process at the next Town Hall meeting (see agenda [5] and community calendar [6]) for any interested parties.

Thank you for your consideration,

Evan Rusackas
Apache Superset PMC • superset.apache.org
Preset, Inc • preset.io

[1] https://preset.io/blog/the-superset-operational-model-wants-you/
[2] https://preset.io/blog/2021-2-25-superset-versioning/
[3] https://github.com/apache/superset/discussions/19597
[4] https://github.com/orgs/apache/projects/201/views/1
[5] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WNtQhrJLCN59tc6FDI2iq4W-aoS6CISCo6S7hHgGMpM/edit#
[6] https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/2?cid=c3VwZXJzZXQuY29tbWl0dGVyc0BnbWFpbC5jb20

Re: Breaking change window for 3.0 development

Posted by Austin Bennett <au...@apache.org>.
Great - breaking changes make things difficult for some, but also help
bring about needed change.  The proposal seems like a decent way forward!

Posted by Srini Kadamati <sk...@gmail.com>.
+1, let's extend the window!

--
Srini Kadamati
skadamat@gmail.com

Re: Breaking change window for 3.0 development

Posted by Evan Rusackas <ev...@preset.io.INVALID>.
Hi all,