Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sheldon Wosnick <sw...@hotmail.com> on 2000/08/25 01:18:53 UTC

No-Charge Apache Tomcat Test Environment for VisualAge for Java

<vendor announcement of interest>

The new Apache Tomcat Test Enviroment for VisualAge for Java is now
generally available at:

http://www.ibm.com/vadd

This feature builds on the technologies and concepts distributed in my
Apache Tomcat whitepapers:

http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf/Data/Document2390?OpenDocument&p=1
http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf/Data/Document2389?OpenDocument&p=1

but wraps all the capabilities up in an easy to install, "out-of-box"
feature which is available at no charge from the VisualAge Developer Domain
leaving Tomcat servlet and JSP developers time to develop rather than set up
the environment.

Tomcat is an open source reference implementation Web server by the Apache
Software Foundation. It implements the Java Servlet 2.2 and JavaServer Pages
1.1 Specifications.

VisualAge for Java provides support for Tomcat through the Apache Tomcat
Test Environment, which contains the Tomcat Web server run-time environment.
The Apache Tomcat Test Environment allows you to develop and test JSPs and
servlets. Because Tomcat provides source code for the full servlet and JSP
APIs, you can step into the code using VisualAge for Java's Integrated
Debugger.

To install the Tomcat feature, please unzip Tomcat3.1.zip in a directory of
your choice and run setup.exe. Please note that this feature requires
VisualAge for Java, Version 3.5 to be installed on your computer. After
installing the feature you will find the documentation for the feature in
...\VisualAge for Java\doc\tomcat.zip

This product is provided "as is" without any warranties or support.

Regards,

Sheldon Bradley Wosnick

</vendor announcement of interest>

Re: No-Charge Apache Tomcat Test Environment for VisualAge for Java

Posted by Ron Bolin <rb...@issl.atl.hp.com>.

Sheldon Wosnick wrote:

> <vendor announcement of interest>
>
> The new Apache Tomcat Test Enviroment for VisualAge for Java is now
> generally available at:

Yes - this article is dated May,  2000. In fact I have been suing VisualAge for
Java
with Tomcat 3.1 on Linux. However, Tomcat 3.2 requires JDK 1.2.X, but VAJ on
Linux supports only JDK 1.1.7.  I have been scanning the VADD site for a month
looking for a JDK 1.2.X
version, but it has not happened. Now I am looking at Jbuilder 3.5 which support
Solaris, Linux
and NT as a  Java app. Jbuilder uses a plug-in architecture for the JDK, you can
even select
from several versions for a particular build. Since IBM has decided to make the
JDK version embedded within VAJ - when is JDK 1.2.X support going to be
available for Linux?

Thanks

Ron

Re: No-Charge Apache Tomcat Test Environment for VisualAge for Java

Posted by Ron Bolin <rb...@issl.atl.hp.com>.