Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Jewel Nuruddin <je...@yahoo.com> on 2012/07/09 12:56:50 UTC

About server hardware

Hi All,

Need one comments about server hardware.
In one hypervisor I want to run 8 guest vm, what will be the main hardware I have to
take care properly!
can any one have any thought?

Thanks
Jewel

Re: About server hardware

Posted by sebastien goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

That will work. How well ? not sure. I/O experts should comment on how to
tune it.
The faster the disks on your host the better, and you will want to make
sure your guest VMs have virtio.

Your notation confused me a bit.
RAM: +/- 4GB could mean a variation of 4 GB. Maybe writing RAM: ~4GB is
better.

-sebastien

--
---

Re: About server hardware

--
---

Re: About server hardware

Posted by sebastien goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jewel,

--
---

RE: About server hardware

   If you list down the requirements for the guest VM in terms of CPU, RAM and storage adding that to Xenserver overhead you can get the requirements for the hardware you need.
For Xenserver overhead, simple rule of thumb is to allow 512 MB for the XenServer total (Hypervisor plus the control domain) if there is less than 5 GB of memory in the server, and allow 1 GB of memory if there is more than 5 GB in the server.

RE: About server hardware

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
Hi Jewel,