Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/07/30 12:39:04 UTC

[DISCUSS] Would you like to be the new chair of AOO ?

Hi.

I will resign at the board meeting in September, so the current schedule
looks like:
Accept/Nominate/Discuss candidates until August 16th
Discussion ends August 23th
Voting ends September 4th
Resolution send to board September 5th.
New chair takes over immediately after the board meeting.

The reason for my resignation is an ongoing disagreement between part of
the PMC
and myself. I expected the PMC to be willing to make changes when I was
elected,
but at least my way seems to be counterproductive. The 2 main discrepancies
are:
- the board reports which, even though discussed publicly, have been the
cause of
  negative discussions after being sent to board
- the attempt to make a cooperation with LO, caused many discussions, but
ended
  with adding restrictions, that made it impossible for me to continue the
attempt.
I do not want to go deeper into details, since it does not help finding a
new chair.

As a volunteer I want to work, where the work makes a positive difference,
and not cause
endless negative discussions. I hope a new chair can help unite the PMC and
help drive
the project forward.

The PMC was informed about this July 24th, and after some discussions,
the time has come to find new candidates.

Please use this mail thread to announce yourself as a candidate, or to
nominate
someone else (remark that person must state whether or not the nomination is
accepted). There are no formal limits to being a nominee, apart from
committer
status.

The rules for the vote, will depend on the number of candidates but is
basically
a majority vote, with PMC votes being binding.

rgds
jan i.

Re: [DISCUSS] Would you like to be the new chair of AOO ?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 15:26:29 +0200
Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to nominate Dennis Hamilton (orcmid), for a number of reasons
> we already discussed here, and more important to say because of his very
> positive attitude towards collaboration within the PMC.
>
> He proved to be an excellent mediator and advisor to the group, always
> respectful of the Apache Way and willing to help.
>
> Roberto

Agreed. I had intended to nominate him, but was waiting for a few days to see reaction on list to Jan's announcement of resignation.

Rory O'Farrell

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [DISCUSS] Would you like to be the new chair of AOO ?

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi.

Today is end of nominations, we have received 1 nomination and Dennis has
accepted the nomination.

I do not see a need for a further discussion period, since the last entry
on this thread was 13 days ago (not counting the private mails I have
received).

I will start the VOTE Thread shortly.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 11:03 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Roberto Galoppini
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to nominate Dennis Hamilton (orcmid), for a number of
> reasons
> > we already discussed here, and more important to say because of his very
> > positive attitude towards collaboration within the PMC.
> >
> > He proved to be an excellent mediator and advisor to the group, always
> > respectful of the Apache Way and willing to help.
> >

> +1.
>
> I think Dennis would be a great choice, if he is willing.   I've known
> him for almost a decade now, from his volunteer work on the ODF
> standard and with ODF interoperability.   He was one of the few true
> volunteer members of the ODF TC, not working for any of the large
> commercial vendors, but gained the respect of all with his technical
> knowledge and experience, but also his willingness to work with all.
> He's a gentleman, something we don't see much anymore.   I met him
> once in Seattle at an ODF Plugfest and he made me appreciate the
> importance of thanking public bus drivers.  My mentioning all this
> will surely embarrass Dennis a little, but that's the kind of guy he
> is, and I want to make sure you know that.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

and my +1 for Dennis Hamilton as chair

 I think Dennis would be an excellent choice.

For what it's worth, he was also one of the original "endorsers" (well I
don't know the proper term is here) for bringing OpenOffice into the ASF:
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal

I think this says a lot about his interest and enthusiasm for OpenOffice

> > Roberto

> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> I will resign at the board meeting in September, so the current schedule
> >> looks like:
> >> Accept/Nominate/Discuss candidates until August 16th
> >> Discussion ends August 23th
> >> Voting ends September 4th
> >> Resolution send to board September 5th.
> >> New chair takes over immediately after the board meeting.
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >> Please use this mail thread to announce yourself as a candidate, or to
> >> nominate
> >> someone else (remark that person must state whether or not the
> nomination
> >> is
> >> accepted). There are no formal limits to being a nominee, apart from
> >> committer
> >> status.
> >>
> >> The rules for the vote, will depend on the number of candidates but is
> >> basically
> >> a majority vote, with PMC votes being binding.
> >>
> >> rgds
> >> jan i.

MzK

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
                                                          --Lao Tzu

Re: [DISCUSS] Would you like to be the new chair of AOO ?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,